PDA

View Full Version : Installing spiral cutter on Grizzly 0490 parallelogram jointer

scott vroom
11-05-2009, 11:13 AM
I own a G0490 planer with straight knives and am considering purchasing one of the aftermarket spiral cutters. Grizzly has a sale on the Byrd cutter ($325) and their own Griz brand ($310). Any fresh opinions on which is better? Previous threads say there is little or no difference between the 2 brands in terms of performance. I did notice on one of the older threads a comment that the Byrd cutterhead is slightly larger than the Griz, making installation more difficult. I also noticed a comment saying that changing the cutter in a parallelogram jointer is difficult and requires the removal of one of the beds.

I'd appreciate hearing from any G0490 owners that have personally installed either of the spiral cutters, and any regrets on having gotten one brand over the other.

Thanks-

Cary Falk
11-05-2009, 1:16 PM
I put a Byrd in my Shop Fox W1741. Grizzly confirmed that it is the same as the G0490. Grizzly told me that the Byrd was my only option so I don't know what is going in the G0490X. It is a tight fit but you do not have to remove the tables to get it in. You just have to lower them down all the way.

scott vroom
11-05-2009, 1:42 PM
Thanks, Cary. Do you get improved performance/quality from the Byrd? Is it much quieter than the straight knive head? Low noise is important to me as I live in a residential area.

Cary Falk
11-05-2009, 2:47 PM
I get less tear out. I did it mainly because I don't like to change knives. I guess it is quieter. I never really thought of the jointer as noisy before.

Al DuBeau
11-05-2009, 8:13 PM
I have a G0490X it has Grizzly own spiral head in it and does a superb job...

glenn bradley
11-05-2009, 9:00 PM
I'm like Al. Went back and forth for way too long on G0490X vs G0490+Byrd before I decided. Was lucky enough to hear from a pro with both in his shop. Stated no difference between the two or between cuts made when new and hundreds of lineal feet later, on either head. I can't speak to the Byrd but those inserts on my Griz head have already outlasted several knife sharpenings and I haven't even turned them once yet. Sooo, worth the money. The difference in cost is already recovered in my shop . . and I'm slow.