PDA

View Full Version : New Stanley Planes

Shawn Gillies
11-05-2009, 10:04 AM
Looking through the latest FWW Mag and see that Stanley has brought back the Sweetheart hand planes.
Has anyone used, or seen them?

Sean Hughto
11-05-2009, 10:10 AM
Every web comment I've seen about them on the various woodworking blogs and forums suggest that they pretty much suck.

Sean Hughto
11-05-2009, 10:21 AM
More specifically:

http://blog.woodworking-magazine.com/blog/Review+Stanley+No+62.aspx

James Scheffler
11-05-2009, 12:21 PM
Every web comment I've seen about them on the various woodworking blogs and forums suggest that they pretty much suck.

But Chris Schwarz basically liked the No. 4, with a couple quibbles.

http://blog.woodworking-magazine.com/blog/Tweaking+A+New+Stanley+No+4.aspx

I would love to see any comments on the new low-angle block plane. That's actually in my price range....

David Gendron
11-05-2009, 1:26 PM
Chris liked the one he got... will they be all the same or he got lucky? IMO, I think people should stick with the proven co. like LV, LN and Clifton! At least until all the bugs have been figured out!

John Coloccia
11-05-2009, 1:49 PM
I saw a new one at woodcraft today. It's a heavy plane and feels nice in your hand. Then I took a closer look and the casting around the mouth was chipped. Come on, Stanley. Maybe I just happened to pick the one bad one. Yeah, right. I'm just really dissapointed because I thought there was a chance they would turn it around with these planes. I suspect that maybe the irons are better but that you get what you get in terms of quality control, fit and finish, so maybe it's fine if you can see it yourself. Based on what I saw today, I would possibly try one but only if I got to examine and pick the one I wanted. I certainly wouldn't order one.

Jim Koepke
11-05-2009, 2:38 PM
I have been looking at BU jack planes for awhile. Was hoping the new Stanley would be in the running. Looks like it isn't there yet. It would be sad if they can't get there. It may be a few month before I can save up to buy what I want, but maybe LN or LV will be the maker of choice this time.

It amazes me that without any sophisticated measuring equipment in my shop, a block plane with a slant on the bedding surface can be fettled to work properly yet a manufacturer with modern machinery can not make such on a consistent basis.

jim