PDA

View Full Version : Finding uses....

Rob Wright
11-05-2009, 9:54 AM
I have a homebuilt Joe's 4x4 and I am always trying to find uses for the CNC in my projects. At least I can try to justify why I have it if I do this.

I am building a computer desk right now. I used the CNC to cut the 32mm shelf pin holes, Domino loose tenon locations, and the dovetails on the drawers.

Toolpathing in VCarve/Aspire takes just a few minutes, and is much better then I could ever layout by hand.

I need to finish the file drawer, and then get going on the doors. I am debating on the finish right now, BLO then shellac then poly most likely. I scored 1000bf of cherry for $0.85/BF last month and I am putting it to good use right now!

james mcgrew
11-05-2009, 10:07 AM
looks like a plan to me!!

jim

Bob Savage
11-05-2009, 10:40 AM
Now that is a very cool idea for cutting dovetails!

Joey/Jim: Is there framework in the way that would preclude me from cutting a slot through the spoilboard and laminated board? I'd probably only need a slot about 16"x1".

Jim Dailey
11-06-2009, 12:15 AM
Hi Rob,

Very nice work!!!

A couple of questions about your table; How are you clamping the boards below the table? What is the size of the slot in the table?

jim

james mcgrew
11-06-2009, 4:00 AM
bob i have done this another way call joey in the am

Rob Wright
11-06-2009, 9:01 AM
Hi Rob,

Very nice work!!!

A couple of questions about your table; How are you clamping the boards below the table? What is the size of the slot in the table?

jim

The slot is 2x13. My gantry will not extend forward enough for me to mount these on the front of the machine - next time my machine will allow that!

I made a true right angle piece from some baltic birch that I mounted under the bed. Glued and screwed together, then glued and screwed to the bottom layer of my spoil board. It also has an aluminum angle that is vertical that is used to reference the board being cut. The second layer of the spoil board was added at a later time and then pocketed again to match the hole below it.

Clamping is done with a quick ratchet hand clamp on the left, and on the right (not shown) I use a long reach face frame clamp. I have a set jig knob and board to clamp down as well setup for when I am doing beehives (they are all the same) This sows in one of the pictures. I adjust the board, clamp the hand clamp and then either apply the long reach FF clamp or just tighten the jig knob to apply pressure to the scrap piece to clamp it down.

Tool paths for the dovetails are generated from a wizard I route in mach3.

Joey Jarrard
11-06-2009, 9:19 AM
Rob what is the brand of machine?

Jim Dailey
11-06-2009, 9:28 AM
Rob,

"Thank You!!!" for taking the time to share that!!!

The pictures where great. Like many woodworkers I have several ways to make dovetails; Leigh D4, Incra router table, band saw, & of course by hand.

And the same can be said for mortise & tenons: table saw, mortising drill, Leigh D4, Leigh FMT, drill press, Incra & by hand.

However like the tittle of your post "Finding uses..." to hold boards or posts/legs in a vertical fixture in the CNC certainly does open many more possibilities...

Again, "Thank You!!!"
jim

Rob Wright
11-06-2009, 9:31 AM
Joey - it's a homebuilt Joe's 4x4 Hybrid http://www.joescnc.com/themachines-hybrid.php

http://sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=113840&d=1237817231