PDA

View Full Version : Replacing cooling fan on TV

Sean Troy
11-05-2009, 9:24 AM
Hey all, I had a message pop up on the screen last night that said- check number 2 cooling fan. Of course I shut the TV off and did a search on the computer about the message. It seems to be a pretty simple fix of just replacing the fan so I ordered one for less than 30 bucks including shipping. My questions are , has anyone else done this before? Anything else I should be aware of? The TV is a 50" Samsung about 4 years old. On a side note, the kids didn't seem to even care the TV was going to be down for a week or so. Pretty cool !

Jerome Hanby
11-05-2009, 10:30 AM
If it's a DLP it might not be the fan. I've had mine power itself off (temperature monitor I'm guessing). Thought it was the cooling system failing. Turned out it was the bulb. Guess it's possible for them to start running extra hot prior to dying. New bulb fixed it.

Sean Troy
11-05-2009, 11:42 AM
You could be right about the bulb. I'll opt for trying the cheaper method first. I've read when you replace the bulb, you should replace the #2 fan also anyway. maybe I'll get lucky and do OK with just the fan.