PDA

View Full Version : problems with ridgid r4330 planer

Karl Card
11-05-2009, 5:22 AM
I bought this planer about 6 months ago and for the most part I really like it. The snipe I was able to get rid of in most all the wood types i use by adjusting the input and out put "trays". But I am having most of the wood chips come back out the input area. I have used my compressor to blow everything out and I just cant seem to make most of the chips go into the shop vac. What I have done so far is: used shopvac with 2.5 inch opening, no shop vac with 4 inch opening and still no difference. I think I read most of the threads on the r4330 and do not recall this being brought up.. not sure tho.

Darius Ferlas
11-05-2009, 7:31 AM
This may be a problem with the shop vac rather than the planer. I used to hook up my central vac (directly inside the garage) to the r4330 and the chip collection wasn't very good. My central vac is a little more powerful than an average shop vac (250 cfm).

Since I connected a 2HP dust collector I'll have a pinch or two of chips on the floor. The rest dutifully goes where the DC tells them to.

dennis thompson
11-05-2009, 8:05 AM
I have that planer & have had that problem too. I've found several areas where problems occur
1- blockage in the chip exhaust that's on the planer
2-blockage in the shop vac hose
3-shop vac too full or filter blocked in the shop vac
4-at one point I had it hooked up to my dust collector & even the 4" hose was blocked
For some reason I have better luck using my shop vac than my dust collector
Check those out, maybe that's the problem
Hope that helps
Dennis

Karl Card
11-05-2009, 9:25 AM
Thanks for the replies. I will check into some of these and hopefully I will have my dust collection up and running soon so that I may try it. I have often wondered if spraying the inside of the chip chute would help to eleviate any clogging there.!Ö¿Ö Hardwood no problems just that pesky soft stuff..

Zach England
11-05-2009, 9:35 AM
I had this problem using a 2.5 inch hose with my DC. I pulled out the dist port and cemented a 4 inch blast gate directly onto the body of the machine. I had to file around the inside of the blast gate and the flange on the machine body to get it to fit, but eventually it worked. It seems to have corrected it.

Rod Sheridan
11-05-2009, 10:02 AM
Karl, it sounds like not enough airflow.

Does that planer have a 4" port on it?

Regards, Rod.

Zach England
11-05-2009, 11:57 AM
Karl, it sounds like not enough airflow.

Does that planer have a 4" port on it?

Regards, Rod.

It has a 2.5 inch port, but when you pull off what is effectively a reducer you get an opening that is roughly 4 inches. When I get home I will post a pic of how I jerry rigged it.

Am I the only one who is annoyed that the dust port is on the same side as the adjustment controls? That was not thought out very well.

Karl Card
11-05-2009, 1:32 PM
As far as the air flow goes that is kind of what i thought but me being a newbie I really didnt know. One of the things I was wanting to make sure was if this was a problem with this particular planer and/or if something else was clogged besides the chip outlet. But most definitely I am going to get the DC together and get it hooked up.

glenn bradley
11-05-2009, 2:16 PM
I have a dedicated 1HP Delta on my DeWalt planer (4") and it keeps up but is just adequate, not impressive. My shop vac (when I tried that for awhile) was pretty useless if I was doing any volume.