PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket TS miter gauges

daniel lane
11-05-2009, 1:51 AM
I've tried the search engine and can't find good discussions on aftermarket TS miter gauges. Can I please ask for suggestions based on experience? As usual, if I've somehow mucked up the search, anyone that points me in the right direction gets carte blanche "told ya so" privileges. :p

I have a Delta contractor's saw (second-hand) and am looking to upgrade the miter gauge. I do not have a fortune for the budget, but would like something that doesn't need to be upgraded again for a while. Read that as I expect to find I need a decent Incra, but don't want to spend $300 for something that will effectively miter cat hair with minimal effort.

TIA,

daniel

Vince Shriver
11-05-2009, 4:05 AM
There are several very good miter guages available: Woodhaven, Jessem, Incra, & Kreg come immediately to mind.

However, since you seem to be on a very tight budget, I have a suggestion. Make a single slot panel cutter. It would be light and as accurate, if not better, than a miter guage. This is nothing more than a piece of plywood with a runner that slides in your miter slot on one side, and a wooden fence that is square to the blade on the other.

scott spencer
11-05-2009, 5:08 AM
It's going to boil down to your preference. I've owned and liked the Incra V27, Osborne EB-3, and the Woodhaven Deluxe. Of those I think the V27 represents the best value but needs a fence (aftermarket or shop-built), the EB-3 is excellent and has a great fence that's supported by the arm, and the Woodhaven is built like a tank but is the most difficult to use because you need to completely remove the brass thumb screw and retighten to change angles.

The EB-3 can often be found in the $110 range.

Rick Gooden
11-05-2009, 7:53 AM
+1 for the Osborne EB3, after owning some of the others and doing a lot of research. @ $110 it is very hard to beat.

Rod Sheridan
11-05-2009, 7:59 AM
Hi Daniel, I have the JessEm mitre gauge and like it.

It has a nice flip stop, and extends to 32"??? for repetitive crosscuts.

As Vince mentioned, if your requirement is simply to cut work pieces square, a home made sled would be very accurate, and inexpensive.

If you do need something that adjusts to any angle, then a mitre gauge is required.

Regards, Rod.

P.S. Even with the Jessem, I need a crosscut sled for larger panels.

Myk Rian
11-05-2009, 8:00 AM
I also have the Osbourne EB-3. Very sturdy and accurate.

Fred Belknap
11-05-2009, 8:06 AM
The Incra 1000SE is a good one. I got mine from Amazon for around $100.

Doug Shepard
11-05-2009, 8:27 AM
The Incra 1000SE is a good one. I got mine from Amazon for around $100.

My uncle's original miter gauge on his Delta contractor got dropped and broke right about the time that Amazon sale was going on, so I told him not to screw around ordering a replacement Delta gauge. He absolutely loves that 1000SE.
I'm using a JDS Accu-Miter for the TS but am thinking of switching up to an Incra one of these days. I'm using the Incra V27 on my bandsaw and combo sander and they're good gauges.

Eric Roberge
11-05-2009, 8:34 AM
+1 for the 1000SE

glenn bradley
11-05-2009, 8:40 AM
Many good high end gauges out there. Your satisfaction will vary with how you use one. If you use a miter gauge for all your angled cuts and do precision frames or other angled joints, go big or expect compromise. For precision angle work I use a sled.

On the other hand if you want a good sold gauge that will function reliably time after time with minimal fiddling and won't break the bank; the V-27 is a great little gauge. I recently picked up another one for the router table. I did add an aluminum fence to each but primarily use a wooden sacrificial fence for the type of work I do.

I think my first one cost me about $30 on sale 5 years ago and the last one was about $45.

Bill Huber
11-05-2009, 9:15 AM
I have the V27 and the EB-3 and I use both all the time.

The V27 is great and shop made face for the fence is really nothing to make. I use it for small lengths for wood. I is very easy to set and very accurate, it is small and I can also us it on the band saw, router table and the Ridgid sander.

The EB-3 is my go to guide on the table saw, it is big but I like that, it is very easy to adjust and will handle a long board with no problem. It has a flip stop and a sliding part that helps on longer wood.

I had a 1000 for about a week and sold it, I just did not like it, it was bulky feeling. Once you put a face on the fence it was really bulky and just did not feel good to use.

So for about $170 you could buy both of them, the V27 and an EB-3

http://www.osbornemfg.com/close-up.htm

http://www.incra.com/product_miter_v27.htm

Zach England
11-05-2009, 9:37 AM
Does anyone know of a good thumb screw I can use to replace the hex cap screws that lock the fence on the incra 100se??

It is a pain when I have to find an allen wrench in order to slide the fence to use the gauge in the right-hand miter slot.

Jerome Hanby
11-05-2009, 9:38 AM
My Incra 1000SE was a complete game changer. It made a bigger difference than my cross cut sled. I caught one of the Amazon deals someone posted here. It's easily the best woodworking dollars I've ever spent.

Bill Arnold
11-05-2009, 10:18 AM
I just pulled the trigger on an Incra 1000SE. I've been looking at a lot of miter gauge options for months (years?) and the price was right today.

Derek Gilmer
11-05-2009, 11:32 AM
Depending on the model be sure they take standard miter gauges. I just sold a delta shopmaster bench top/contractor saw that had a slightly narrower than normal gauge slot. The fancy miter gauge my wife got me for Christmas has been sitting on the shelf :(

John Thompson
11-05-2009, 11:41 AM
I have two Incra V 27's I added fences to. I make various lenghts for one and purchased a 49" fence for the other. I just made a sliding sled from 1/2" mdf with a UHMV runner the other day but.. I positioned the wood fence forward in lieu of to the rear which allows me to make 30" wide cross-cuts. Cost under $10 until I added a Pinnacle hold down in front which drove the price up $16 more. Very accurate for straight cuts and the Incra's are also accurate with no slop.

Matt Follett
11-05-2009, 2:02 PM
I love the triangular design as oposed to a protractor style. Grip tape face is a plus also, no need for clamps even on miters

Tom Esh
11-05-2009, 2:40 PM
Does anyone know of a good thumb screw I can use to replace the hex cap screws that lock the fence on the incra 100se??

It is a pain when I have to find an allen wrench in order to slide the fence to use the gauge in the right-hand miter slot.

I use these. http://www.mcmaster.com/
Item# 92421A537

IIRC I had to grind or file them a tad shorter so they wouldn't bottom out. They also have some steel and SS versions, but watch the head diameter - there's limited clearance to the bottom (and your table) there.

paul cottingham
11-05-2009, 4:26 PM
The EB3 actually makes me suck less as a woodworker.

:)

Jim Rimmer
11-05-2009, 4:49 PM
+1 Incra 1000SE

Jim Rimmer
11-05-2009, 4:56 PM

Sent you a PM. Check this thread. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=116002

James Carmichael
11-05-2009, 5:13 PM
+1 on the Jessem MitrExcel. I have the Rockler version. The flip stop extends out to 36" and can adjust in 1/2-degree (which I haven't needed). I adjusted once after bringing it home, and haven't since.

They are a bit pricey. I wouldn't have one had I not found it on CL for $100 (pardon the stealth gloat there).

The miter bar also has a width adjustment.

I saw someone comment in this thread about miter slots possibly not being wide enough. This is true. I use this on a restored Craftsman TS built by Emerson. The slots were a hair too narrow, however, a crafty fellow on another forum tipped me off as to how easily cast iron can be scraped. A little careful scraping of one side of the slot with a bullnose lathe scraper, and, voila!

Should I ever upgrade my table saw, the Jessem will likely stay with me.

Brian Penning
11-05-2009, 5:23 PM
If you scroll down the list of reviews in the link you'll see a bunch of Miter gauges.
I have the Osborne EB3 and like it.
http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/index.html

John Harden
11-05-2009, 5:42 PM
My Incra 1000SE was a complete game changer. It made a bigger difference than my cross cut sled. I caught one of the Amazon deals someone posted here. It's easily the best woodworking dollars I've ever spent.

+9 on the Incra 1000. I bought the Woodpeckers version about 4-5 years ago and it worked amazingly well.

Recently sold my cabinet saw and gave the guy the Incra. I REALLY hated to part with the Incra.

I think that both Rockler and Woodcraft carry them in stock, so if one of these stores are near you, stop on by. They also carry other brands for you to compare.

Regards,

John

Al DuBeau
11-05-2009, 8:08 PM
+10 for the Incra 1000SE... It's fabulous and is far better than the stock miter gage that came with my Unisaw...

Look around on the net and you can find it much cheaper than woodcraft or rockler...

daniel lane
11-05-2009, 8:40 PM
Thanks to everyone for your input. I spent almost 3 hours today reading about all the units people suggested! In the end, I'm going to go with the Incra 1000SE:

Shorter fence (18") that can extend if I need to. Some of the longer fences worry me about overhang or interfering with left-mounted router wing that I'll be installing
Dual stop
Vernier scale - I'm an engineer, so I will brag about having it even if I don't use it! :p
In-slot adjustability of bar (top-adjust) plus end-mounted T-slot retainer to help prevent it tipping out when I pull it back far
180º angle range

Also, Amazon currently has it for $104.68, so it's cheaper than anything except the V27!

Thanks again for all of your suggestions!

daniel

Gerry Werth
11-05-2009, 8:44 PM
Wood mag ran an article comparing the various aftermarket miter gauges/sled a few months ago. Go to woodmagazine.com and search in their tool advice tab.

Mike Hollingsworth
11-05-2009, 9:20 PM
I dropped my JDS twice. Both times got free replacement parts from very friendly mfg.

Jim Rimmer
11-05-2009, 9:39 PM
In the end, I'm going to go with the Incra 1000SE

I have one and love it but there is at least one caveat. I didn't take time to search for the old thread but you may want to. After you have it all set up and ready to go and then change to a 45 degree cut, MAKE SURE you readjust so you don't cut the miter gage fence. I saw the thread and watched out for it and I'm glad someone warned me.

daniel lane
11-05-2009, 11:07 PM
I have one and love it but there is at least one caveat. I didn't take time to search for the old thread but you may want to. After you have it all set up and ready to go and then change to a 45 degree cut, MAKE SURE you readjust so you don't cut the miter gage fence. I saw the thread and watched out for it and I'm glad someone warned me.

I saw it mentioned earlier and/or in another thread, so I hope to be prepared. In fact, I have access to one of those electronic labelers, I'm thinking I will print a label in red print on white background that reminds me to readjust the blade, then stick the label on the miter gauge somewhere.

Ooooh! Another reason why I opted for the 1000SE - the ability to have a sacrificial fence + use the stop. I'll put a sacrificial fence on and stick the label on top of that. :D

daniel

matt swiderski
11-13-2009, 10:29 AM
Not trying to hijack a thread, but I didn't see anyone comment on the Incra 1000HD. I also have been looking for a miter gauge, and had decided on the Osborne EB-3. But with Rockler having the 1000HD for $100 on black friday, I'm torn. What do you all think? Thanks for the help.
Matt

Cary Falk
11-13-2009, 10:43 AM
Not trying to hijack a thread, but I didn't see anyone comment on the Incra 1000HD. I also have been looking for a miter gauge, and had decided on the Osborne EB-3. But with Rockler having the 1000HD for $100 on black friday, I'm torn. What do you all think? Thanks for the help.
Matt

It looks like the 1000se with more stops. All of the Incra stuff I have is great. I would probably buy it if I didn't already have the 1000se. At $100, I don't think you could wrong.

Cliff Holmes
11-13-2009, 10:52 AM
Just picked up an Incra 1000HD on a one-time-good-deal from Woodcraft for $80. It's awesome. I tried out the Kreg and didn't like it, felt flimsy. The Incra is super-accurate and extremely flexible.

Gerry Werth
11-13-2009, 11:13 AM
http://www.woodmagazine.com/woodworking-tools/reviews/table-saws/miter-gauges-sleds/

go look at the Wood Magazine review of miter gauges. But most of the replies here substantiate the review. I have the V-27, and its $64.99 at Woodcraft...won't break the bank, and is accurate and easy to use.

glenn bradley
11-13-2009, 11:30 AM
I have the V-27, and its $64.99 at Woodcraft...won't break the bank, and is accurate and easy to use.

Or $48 on Amazon, Woodcraft is high on many items: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007UQ2DW
(http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007UQ2DW)

Ray Newman
11-13-2009, 12:11 PM
Another vote for the INCRA 1000SE:D

John Gregory
11-13-2009, 12:16 PM
The Icras are on sale at some places

http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=1258856&posted=1#post1258856

Steve Kohn
11-13-2009, 12:43 PM
EB-3 is the one I use. Like it very much. No experience with any other high end guages.

paul dyar
11-13-2009, 9:07 PM
I also have the Osbourne EB-3, and I love it.
paul

Josh Reet
11-13-2009, 9:12 PM
Just wanted to say thanks for the thread. I ordered a V27 based on the info here. I might pick up something fancier like an incra 1000xx someday, but I like the idea that the v27 can be used on other tools as well (as posters on this thread have mentioned).

Dean Karavite
11-14-2009, 8:06 PM
You guys are an influence. Some might say bad, I say good. I picked up a 1000SE today and then spent about 8 hours in the shop. Life does not get much better!

daniel lane
11-14-2009, 8:29 PM
Just wanted to say thanks for the thread. I ordered a V27 based on the info here. I might pick up something fancier like an incra 1000xx someday, but I like the idea that the v27 can be used on other tools as well (as posters on this thread have mentioned).

I strongly considered the V27 because of this reason, but in the end decided I'd rather have the dedicated 1000SE for the TS and (eventually) pick up a different miter gauge for other tools, if needed. However, I had to think long and hard to make that decision!

You guys are an influence. Some might say bad, I say good. I picked up a 1000SE today and then spent about 8 hours in the shop. Life does not get much better!

I'm jealous! I received my 1000SE this week and it's still in the box in the workshop. I was hoping to spend some time in there today, but we couldn't pass up the opportunity to take our son to his first Renaissance Fair. :D

daniel