PDA

View Full Version : Home School Woodshop update

Dave Sharpe
11-05-2009, 12:19 AM
And now for the latest installment in my ongoing saga to attempt to teach woodworking skills to some local youth. My group has grown to six kids, and I've gotten a bit better organized and have even developed....... A PLAN! I'd begun a month or so ago with the idea that the kids (ages 10-16) needed to feel a sense of accomplishment so I tried to have them complete a simple project each week. The problem is that I ended up doing most of the work beforehand so I could hand each student a "kit" that only needed minimal woodworking skills to complete - a box, bookends, etc. While this lets them feel they've completed a project, it doesn't really teach them woodworking. I also found that if one kid was absent, either he missed the lesson, or I had to go back and cover the material again for one kid while the others sat around. In addition, each student learns differently and it's tough to balance each student's needs in the limited time we have each week.
SO - I sat down and wrote out a "modular" teaching plan. Basically, each module covers one aspect of working with wood, and lists various requirements to compete that module (can you tell I was a Boy Scout and earned lots of merit badges?) For example, Module 1 is Shop Safety, and each student is required to identify various hazards in the shop, explain what to do in case of an injury or an emergency, show me where the fire extinguisher and first aid kit is, etc. They also must demonstrate that they know how to use dust masks, eye and hearing protection, as well as explain when each should be used.
Today we covered all of that (as a review) and moved on to module 2 - Measuring, Marking and Layout. After I demonstrated things like how to use a tape measure, combination square, try square, and such, each student was given a 6 foot length of 1x6 pine and a list of marks to make on that board. These included making a line at leat 10"long that was 1" from the edge, a line at 90 degrees and another at 45 degrees from that line. Then they had to find the center point of the board, and make similar measurements on a full sheet of plywood. I discovered that I shouldn't assume that kids already know how to measure things - some of them had no idea what all those little lines on a ruler are for! Seriously! But they had fun learning and marking all over their boards, and seemed genuinely excited to check off each requirement on the list. There's also a big "status board" on the wall on which they can each check off modules they have completed so they can see their progress.

We move on next to hand tools, and they will have several requirements for basic hand tools, then move on to hand-held power tools such as a jigsaw, sander, etc. The idea is that each module builds on prior lessons, and after being "qualified" on a particular tool, they can feel free to use that tool in class to work on their own projects.

In the meantime, that 6' board each of them has will be used in each module, gradually being turned into a simple hat rack with a shelf. This way each module moves them closer to completing a project - and I have a completed example for them to see and compare their work against. The modules let each kid work at his own pace, with set goals to complete whenever they want. Some may want to plow through and get them all done quickly, then start on a personal project, while others may want to take longer to get there.

Dick Brown
11-05-2009, 3:05 PM
As a former shop teacher(mostly welding) I agree with your step by step approach. The one thing that helps keep the students focused is working on a project of their choosing after the basics are learned (with input from teacher as to skills v.s. complexity of project) and taking ownership when done, warts and all. I found that the key to their advancing skill wise was to always pick a project that pushed the skill level but never to the extent that it looked intimidating. For instance, a student wanted to build a four horse trailer but was afraid to start. I said can you make a good weld one inch long? If you can, you can build a horse trailer, one inch at a time. Ended up with a great trailer.
Good luck,
Dick

Dave Sharpe
11-05-2009, 9:23 PM
Thanks Dick for the input. I especially appreciate all you shop teachers out there who offer advice. My step=by=step method does have the disadvantage that it keeps the kids working on my track, rather than working on their own projects. I've encouraged them to come up with ideas for a "semester project", but so far they are coming up with ideas that are prohibitively expensive for them in terms of buying materials. We haven't talked about material costs yet, so they pretty much haven't clued in to the idea that I'm not providing them with $100 - $200 each to buy materials. I have provided the starter planks they're working with now - cheap but fairly clear pine, and I'm not charging anything for my time and materials. So it's going to be an awakening for them when we get to the point of talking about expenses for their semester project. But it's all part of the learning process....

Chuck Saunders
11-06-2009, 8:22 AM
but so far they are coming up with ideas that are prohibitively expensive for them in terms of buying materials.

Boy, Glad I don't have that problem:rolleyes:. Dave, I think what you are doing is just wonderful. I especially appreciate you sharing this experience with us.

Ben Abate
11-08-2009, 8:47 AM
Dave,
Your thread is just in time, I have a friend that has asked if I would mentor her son. I think it might be a good experience on both sides. I'm not going to jump into this immediately because I have a few commissions to finish before I can consider it. I'm thinking the beginning of the new year. It started with a conversation about what her son was going to do after he graduates this year. She thought he would by pass college and get a job of sort. I chimed in with a suggestion of a school that has liberal arts program. Not a tech school but something like Berea College or any of the other school we read about in our woodworking rags. That's when she came up with the idea of me mentoring him to see if he would like this path or a similar path. I guess he is pretty mechanically inclined. That is the reason I've been following your post with much interest. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

regards
Ben