PDA

View Full Version : How can I clean my handle and preserve the sticker?

Adam Woznicki
11-04-2009, 10:41 PM
How can I clean my handle without damaging the sticker?

I guess this plane has been sitting on its side for most of its life since one side of the handle is nice and clean while the other is rather dusty/dirty. This is not something I would call patina, so I want it off.

As you can see, the sticker already has some chipping so it seems a bit fragile.

Once its clean, how can I preserve the sticker while keeping it as a user?
Can I just add a new coat of shellac? I don't want to make the wood any darker if I can help it.

BTW, its a Stanley #4 type 11 (my first $1 plane:D, but with no cap:()

dan grant
11-04-2009, 11:05 PM
How can I clean my handle without damaging the sticker?

I guess this plane has been sitting on its side for most of its life since one side of the handle is nice and clean while the other is rather dusty/dirty. This is not something I would call patina, so I want it off.

As you can see, the sticker already has some chipping so it seems a bit fragile.

Once its clean, how can I preserve the sticker while keeping it as a user?
Can I just add a new coat of shellac? I don't want to make the wood any darker if I can help it.

BTW, its a Stanley #4 type 11 (my first $1 plane:D, but with no cap:()
replace the handle, if you use it you will wear the sticker off

Mike Brady
11-04-2009, 11:19 PM
I agree. If you want to preserve it, and you should; get another handle for use and keep the other one aside. You can clean it by lightly rubbing off the grime with a soft rag and some mineral spirits. That is actually a decal, which would come off if soked long enough in water. Do not put any top coat on the handle except for wax. That looks like a nice plane. You should be able to buy a lever cap from a board member. By the way, Type 11 did not have the decals. It is a T 12 or 13., or what is generally called a Sweetheart era plane.

Sam Takeuchi
11-04-2009, 11:39 PM
I think that's type 13. Large depth adjuster and one pat date. You got a good deal on that thing regardless!

BUT like others said, get a replacement handle if you want to keep that thing on. It's not going to stay. By the way, that handle doesn't look that dirty. Seems like little rubbing would clean it. Someone obviously cleaned over the sticker pretty nicely. Take this as an opportunity to make a new handle. Maybe it'll be fun. Finding genuine Stanley handle in good condition is pretty tough, they pop up every now and then, but they are kind of expensive. Or you can buy a new replacement handle (and knob if you like) from Greg (http://www.drozsoldetymestanleytotesandknobs.com/index.html). I bought a set for my type 11 #7 from him recently and they are actually nicer than the original :)

Personally I don't think that decal is worth that much investment or effort. It's nice, but it was never meant to stay on for long. I'm sure re-sell value is higher, but unless you are going to sell it right away, you'll have to buy every day user handle, so it's kind of pointless.

Adam Woznicki
11-05-2009, 11:13 AM
oops, your right it's a type 13. I got my notes mixed up.

I was hoping I could use it with the sticker.

What's the handle worth? Any chance I can trade it for a decent joiner plane?:D

Maybe I can use the handle from my #4 type 19.

Sam Takeuchi
11-05-2009, 11:38 AM
I don't know how much a handle would go. When I was looking for a set for my above mentioned #7, a set of no decal low knob rosewood knob/handle (Stanley made) in a good condition went for $38. Another set I was watching sold for $25 on eBay. But that's for a set...for a handle on its own, I don't know. Even with a decal on, I don't think it'll go much higher than $20 plus some change at best, could be higher a bit, or lower by a few bucks. Handle with decal is collectible, but it's not the kind of thing brings you a fortune. If you want to trade it in, you can probably sell it on ebay, take that $15 - $20 to antique tool shops or garage sale and hope neglected jointer is sold within that budget. Otherwise most probably no. It's not that prized.

Either way, it's bit expensive to buy, but not too much money when you sell. Dealing with vintage handle/knob is sort of lose/lose situation, at least on eBay.

On the other hand, if you had a handle with decal for #1, probably you could've gotten enough money to buy a jointer and plenty of change left :)