PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know what this 12” is?

Bruce Page
11-04-2009, 8:09 PM
Anyone know what this 12” is? http://albuquerque.craigslist.org/tls/1451400789.html

I’ve been keeping an eye out for a larger joiner for some time now and this finally comes up. Of course I’m still sitting on a rock in the middle of the pacifc but maybe the guy can hold it for a few more weeks...:rolleyes:

The 3 phase doesn’t bother me.

Chip Lindley
11-04-2009, 8:30 PM
It's a Northfield 12" Jointer. I have one just like it, but not in as nice condition! This one looks to be all original with blade guard intact. Amazingly Northfield is still in business! $950 isn't bad for a jointer of this quality. Maybe the owner is motivated to sell? Doesn't hurt to call and ask!

glenn bradley
11-04-2009, 10:09 PM
Chip beat me to it. I don't have one but I have a screen saver made up of scrolling Northfield dream machines ;-)

jerry cousins
11-04-2009, 10:14 PM
the 12" does look like a northfield - with a direct drive motor. i have one and it is a great machine. at $950 it is a really good buy. and northfiled is still operating - if you get the serial number they can tell you the history of the machine - when it was manufactured - who bought it - and they have all the parts if needed.

jerry

Dan Manning
11-04-2009, 11:21 PM
You just gotta love a company that stands beside, and behind thier products. That's what makes the name last, and the customers happy.

Simon Dupay
11-05-2009, 12:19 AM
Northfield medium duty jointer Northfield makes the best jointer on the planet way better then any euro jointer have an 8" at school one sweet machine.

Frank Drew
11-05-2009, 9:03 AM
I was going to say that that certainly looks like my mid-Fifties Northfield; curious that the seller didn't give the name. Mine had been originally sold as a direct drive (according to Northfield's archives), but when I bought it in 1981 it had already been converted to belt drive.

Workhorse of a machine, although blade setting was a total pain (no raising screws, etc.)

John Thompson
11-05-2009, 11:54 AM
Northfield.. doesn't get much better but.. you will have to use a converter as it is 3 phase but that is only a minor considering IMO...

Rod Sheridan
11-05-2009, 12:09 PM
Northfield makes the best jointer on the planet way better then any euro jointer .

Are you sure Simon??:D

I will admit it's a great jointer, however the best on the planet???

I wouldn't turn down the one in the image.

Chris Tsutsui
11-05-2009, 12:33 PM
Rod, now that's the Enterprise class of air craft carrier jointers.

Though I heard David Marks say that he's seen a guy with a Jointer that has a bed 3 feet wide. That makes it a 36" jointer. Anyone got a picture of this so called 36" jointer?

BTW, I feel like a douche. I went to fire up my Hammer A3 31 for the first time EVER this morning so I push the start button but it only goes at a low RPM. So I call customer support and I completely forgot that the manual said to press and hold start button to charge up the start capacitor... Phew...

Rod Sheridan
11-05-2009, 12:49 PM
That's funny Chris, I did that once with my machine as well.

The issue is that there isn't a centrifugal starting switch in the motor, so you have to hold the start button to engage the start winding.

How's the new machine going?

Regards, Rod.

Chris Tsutsui
11-05-2009, 1:55 PM
I will be using it soon for milling hard maple for a coffee table so eventually I might post a thorough review on it, but for now I've just cleaned it up, waxed the painted surfaces and made a 230v extension cord for it.

It runs strong, converts easier than I thought, and the digital gauge seems real easy to calibrate and use.

Fit and finish of the machine build is top notch.

I'm using WD-40 wiped down on the table tops because I don't know what else to use on this textured surface.

Bruce Page
11-05-2009, 1:57 PM
I sent the guy an email telling him that I will buy it if he still has it when I get home on the 24th.

Keeping my fingers in Kauai! :)

Rod Sheridan
11-05-2009, 2:31 PM
I use paste wax on the tables.

You need to keep them well waxed........Regards, Rod.

Dave Mura
11-05-2009, 2:54 PM
Good luck!

Myk Rian
11-05-2009, 5:20 PM
Chris;

Use alcohol to get the WD-40 off, then smear it with furniture paste wax, (no silicon). Melt the wax in with a heat gun or hair dryer, and buff it up.

Simon Dupay
11-05-2009, 9:05 PM

Well Rod would you turn down this?http://www.northfieldwoodworking.com/jointers/heavyjointer.gif

does that "euro trash":D have Cored tables, a fence that can be set at an angle to the blades for a shear cut and a ship wheel infeed table adjustment? Just because it's from europe doesn't make it better.

Frank Drew
11-05-2009, 9:17 PM
I liked the Northfield medium duty that I had (and the photo Simon posted is the much more expensive heavy duty model), but if someone had offered to trade me an Oliver I would have taken it in a heartbeat. Just because...

tyler mckenzie
11-06-2009, 3:26 AM
Here's my vote for the Northfield over scm.

Steve Rowe
11-06-2009, 8:29 AM

I ditto that but would also add:

http://www.hofmann-maschinen.de/hobelnEN.asp#

of course when you get in that class, go for the AHW631 with 24" jointing capacity and a total table length of 10 ft.

and,

The Martin T54

http://www.martin-usa.com/cms/_main/planing/t54/t54-bilder.html

Which only has 20" jointing capacity and long tables as well.

As good as the Northfield is, I am pretty sure given a choice, I would prefer either of the two above (cost being no object of course). Come on lottery :D:D.

Steve Rozmiarek
11-06-2009, 8:51 AM
Rod, now that's the Enterprise class of air craft carrier jointers.

Though I heard David Marks say that he's seen a guy with a Jointer that has a bed 3 feet wide. That makes it a 36" jointer. Anyone got a picture of this so called 36" jointer?

BTW, I feel like a douche. I went to fire up my Hammer A3 31 for the first time EVER this morning so I push the start button but it only goes at a low RPM. So I call customer support and I completely forgot that the manual said to press and hold start button to charge up the start capacitor... Phew...

Chris, here is a 36" Porter sitting beside a tiny 12" Fay and Egan. http://www.owwm.com/photoindex/detail.aspx?id=7479

My take in the Euro vs old American iron, I would not trade my Felder for a Oliver 166, but I would add on to my shop to have the room for both!

http://www.owwm.com/photoindex/images/7479-C.jpg

Rod Sheridan
11-06-2009, 10:03 AM
Well Rod would you turn down this?http://www.northfieldwoodworking.com/jointers/heavyjointer.gif

does that "euro trash":D have Cored tables, a fence that can be set at an angle to the blades for a shear cut and a ship wheel infeed table adjustment? Just because it's from europe doesn't make it better.

Simon, I would turn both down since either wouldn't fit in my shop.

However, claiming something is the best on the planet, or that Euro machinery is inferior, is a claim that's just going to be wrong.

If I wanted a North American jointer it would be a General, because it's not imported, and it's very high quality.

Oh wait, I sold my General for an imported "Euro trash" jointer:D

Regards, Rod.

P.S. I like the Northfield equipment very much, however I don't expect that many hobby users buy much new Northfield equipment, something that isn't true of the Euro trash machinery.

If I had the room, I might consider the General 12" which does have the neat ship wheel bed adjuster, however I now have a 12" that does everything I want, and has quick change knives.

Rye Crane
11-06-2009, 10:52 AM
Chris,

I have a Mini Max FS2 jointer planer it's 520mm wide or 20.5"
an aircraft carrier for sure. It's a beast and I love it.

I use LPS-3 on the cast iron in my shop. Just spray a little on a shop rag
and wipe down. It leaves a slightly waxy finish and will not collect dust.
I use LPS-2 on the lifting screws and other mechanical pieces like trunnons, etc. it also will not collect dust and the lubrication stays put for several months. I also use it on my sliding tablesaw ways. Just spray on the rag and wipe down.
I use LPS-1 on some light applications same qualities but lighter. Good for hinges, etc.

Good luck with your Felder, it's a great piece of machinery and should serve you well for years and years.

Rye Crane
Pittsburg, CA.