PDA

View Full Version : Need reccomendation on cutting bit

Steve Stram
11-04-2009, 7:36 PM
I have a CNC job that is cutting logos in hard wood. The detail is such that the cutting is only 0.5 mm (0.02") in depth. To now I have been using the Whiteside SC50 carving liner bit. The very tip just broke, but could have been operator error.

Are there any other options out there?

I can use 1/8" or 1/4" shanks.

Steve.

Dan Hintz
11-04-2009, 7:41 PM
Technically this is an engraving forum for substrates and machines of all types, but almost from the beginning it has been nearly 100% laser-based... I'm totally stunned to see an actual wood/CNC question :eek:

Neal Schlee
11-04-2009, 7:48 PM
I have a CNC job that is cutting logos in hard wood. The detail is such that the cutting is only 0.5 mm (0.02") in depth. To now I have been using the Whiteside SC50 carving liner bit. The very tip just broke, but could have been operator error.

Steve.

Take a look at www.beckwithdecor.com (http://www.beckwithdecor.com) Checkout their cutters page.
They have a bit that tapers to a .063" tip.

Neal

Lee DeRaud
11-04-2009, 8:24 PM
Technically this is an engraving forum for substrates and machines of all types, but almost from the beginning it has been nearly 100% laser-based... I'm totally stunned to see an actual wood/CNC question :eek:You need to get out more.

It was the "Laser Woodworking" forum when I joined. The mitosis into engraving, signs, CNC, etc is relatively recent.

Guy Mathews
11-04-2009, 8:37 PM

Steve.

Steve,

To answer your original question, try Harveytool.com.

That is where I get anything smaller than .0625 inches. You can get bits all the way down to .001 inches.

Guy

Mike Null
11-04-2009, 9:53 PM
You can also try JDS or Johnson Plastics for 1/4" shank cutters in varying widths. The manufacturer's are Antares and Bruce to name two. For 1/8" you can try Dremel or dentist's bits.

You may have to shorten the shanks on some of these.

Steve Stram
11-04-2009, 10:23 PM
I just checked Harvey Tool and it looks like they have what I need. Will check the local distributors tomorrow.

Thanks.
Steve.

Guy Mathews
11-05-2009, 6:13 AM
I just checked Harvey Tool and it looks like they have what I need. Will check the local distributors tomorrow.

Thanks.
Steve.

No problem Steve. I will be in Grand Rapids in a few weeks, how far away are you from there?

Guy

Steve Stram
11-15-2009, 6:52 PM
Guy,

Grand Rapids is left side of the state, I am right side. Although, I do go to Lansing that isn't that far from Grand Rapids to get wood from micro mill.

The job that started the thread went away. Someone quoted $0.75 each to cut them with a laser in quantity of 1,000. Customer was supplying the material. Oh well, I needed $1.25 each to make it worth the trip. Not sure how the person with laser is making anything or is just tying to keep his equipment running on something.

I'm going to order a couple of the Harvey "30° Included Engraving Cutters - AlTiN Coated" in the near future. Thanks for the lead. Of all the ones referred to, they were the most reasonable price. And remember, I am cutting wood and not metal.

Steve.

Niklas Bjornestal
11-16-2009, 11:30 PM
The job that started the thread went away. Someone quoted $0.75 each to cut them with a laser in quantity of 1,000. Customer was supplying the material. Oh well, I needed $1.25 each to make it worth the trip. Not sure how the person with laser is making anything or is just tying to keep his equipment running on something.

How fast is your cnc compared to a laser?

Lee DeRaud
11-16-2009, 11:40 PM
How fast is your cnc compared to a laser?For intricate shallow engraving in wood? My money's on the laser.

Belinda Barfield
11-17-2009, 7:34 AM
You might try posting this over on the Creek's CNC forum. You might get more responses from the other CNC users. :)