PDA

View Full Version : Harbor Freight 2 HP Dust Collector

Bobb G
11-04-2009, 1:50 PM
I currently use my shop vac for dust collection. I'm looking at purchasing the Harbor Freight DC. It's rated for 1550 CFM at 20 amps.

Does anyone know if it really is 20 amps? If you have one, how does it work for you? I have a coupon to purchase it for about $140. I do have 20 amp circuits in my shop.

Mike Cruz
11-04-2009, 1:55 PM
IIRC, if something draws 20 amps, you need about a 30 amp circuit. Otherwise you will trip the breaker on startup. I think the rule is something like: your draw should be no more than 75% of breaker capacity...or something like that. Usually equipment "surges" at startup. Of course, the 20 amp rating may be a startup rating. I'm not totally sure. Just a red flag to me. Download the manual and see what it says about what size breaker you should use. Also, be sure to have ONLY that thing on that circuit.

Chris Tsutsui
11-04-2009, 1:58 PM
I have one and been using it for several months. It's a real gem.

I'd say it's probably closer to 900 CFM, and not quite 15 amps... I can measure the current draw of it tonight.

If it drew 20 amps I think it would pop my 15 amp breaker. heh

Still, the unit sounds great, sucks plenty of dust from my table saw, router table, band saw, and I plan to use it on a 12" jointer/planer and really put it to the test.

I highly recommend this DC, and for $140, you can't go wrong. I got the extended warranty on it, but I really doubt I will use it because it's built tough and I havn't heard any real negative reviews on it.

Your next question should be whether you should get the HF 4" hose, or a retractable rockler hose... I'd get the retractable one. :)

Jim Podsedly
11-04-2009, 2:00 PM
I have the same DC and has been working well for 2 years now. One thing you need to change out immediately are the bags. The ones that come with it are a little better than a burlab bag!

Get some good bags and you will have a decent setup.

jim

Cary Falk
11-04-2009, 2:02 PM
I have the same DC and has been working well for 2 years now. One thing you need to change out immediately are the bags. The ones that come with it are a little better than a burlab bag!

Get some good bags and you will have a decent setup.

jim

I believe the new version comes with a 5um bag instead of the old 30um. Not quite 1um but a lot better. Cary

Josh Reet
11-04-2009, 2:07 PM
And I have heard of various people upgrading to a canister on the HF collector. Though I don't know if they are using the grizzly one or one from somewhere else. I believe it was somewhere else. But I'm sure there is somebody here who knows which of them fit.

scott spencer
11-04-2009, 2:11 PM
Many of these DC units are rated optimistically. IIRC, Bill Pentz actually did some CFM testing on that unit and found it to be closer to 500 CFM with the stock bags, and ~ 800 CFM with a Winn cannister. I also seem to recall someone else testing the motor at closer to 1.5hp, which would put it in the 15 amp range but there's no guarantee that they're sticking with the same motors as the one tested.

Bobb G
11-04-2009, 2:17 PM
IIRC, if something draws 20 amps, you need about a 30 amp circuit. Otherwise you will trip the breaker on startup. I think the rule is something like: your draw should be no more than 75% of breaker capacity...or something like that. Usually equipment "surges" at startup. Of course, the 20 amp rating may be a startup rating. I'm not totally sure. Just a red flag to me. Download the manual and see what it says about what size breaker you should use. Also, be sure to have ONLY that thing on that circuit.

I downloaded the manual and makes no mention of needing anything other than a 3 prong outlet. No mention of a 30 amp outlet. It states that it's "20 Amps Peak". Sounds like they do they same thing Craftsman does/did...over state their ratings.

Bobb G
11-04-2009, 2:18 PM
I believe the new version comes with a 5um bag instead of the old 30um. Not quite 1um but a lot better. Cary

Yes...this unit comes with the 5 micron bags.

Richard M. Wolfe
11-04-2009, 2:26 PM
I use one and it works very well. There have been threads about it in the past and it seems to be one of the better liked Harbor Freight tools. The main kick about it is that the switch has a tendency to go out but replacing the switch with a comparable is not that great or expensive an undertaking if it has to be done.

Jon Prouty
11-04-2009, 2:36 PM
works great... recently upgraded from an older Jet 1.5HP with pourous bags to the latest version from HF. For $140, don't even think twice. It is well worth it. Upgades are planned for mine, especially the baffle, but for now it is plumbed into my system and works great. I have not measure the amp draw but it definitely surges upon startup as woudl be expected. I'm on a 20 amp circuit without an issue.

$140 well spent.

JP

Dave Hasson
11-04-2009, 2:38 PM
And I have heard of various people upgrading to a canister on the HF collector. Though I don't know if they are using the grizzly one or one from somewhere else. I believe it was somewhere else. But I'm sure there is somebody here who knows which of them fit.

I have seen a lot of people using the 35A spun bond polyester cartridge from Wynn Environmental. 35A100SBOL is the part number and they sell for $147. I am getting ready to order one myself after I figure out where my leak is. I'm getting sawdust around the impeller housing so it's seeping out of somewhere. Mine was drawing 18A on startup and I've had no problems on a dedicated 20A breaker.

Lee Bidwell
11-04-2009, 2:57 PM
I've also not measured the amps it pulls, but thought I might add some practical experience. My entire garage (lights and 5 outlets) are on a single 15A breaker :(, and I don't yet have 220 run to it. Since I added the HF dust collector a few weeks ago, I have run it with any one of my tools (miter saw, band saw, little benchtop table saw, 6" jointer) with little issue. The only time I have thrown the breaker was when face jointing a 6" piece of hard maple. It definitely surges on startup, and my lights dim. So I always let the DC get up to speed, then fire up the tool. With the big tools wired for 220 (as mine will be hopefully very soon), you should have no problems.

One other recommendation. When I bought the DC, I also picked up the HF remote control starter. I think it was like $7, and it works very well.

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.

Lee

Derek Voigt
11-04-2009, 3:14 PM
I too am a recent owner of the HF dust collector with the Rockler slinky hose. I don't have anything to compare it to because this is the only one that I have ever known. But it seems to work great. Runs nice and strong my lights dim in the garage when I turn it on, and I can't run my table saw and dust collector from the same breaker when ripping a long piece. Luckly I have 2 breakers that go to the garage.

If was a great purchase.

-D

Steve Sawyer
11-04-2009, 3:37 PM
I have one w/the Wynn cartridge. I wanted to use one of the wireless remotes, and measured the running amperage at 13 amps. I used one of the 1.5 HP (12 A) rated remotes and haven't had any trouble with it. I do have it on a dedicated 20A circuit at the moment.

dennis thompson
11-04-2009, 7:19 PM
I have one that's 2-3 years old with absolutely no problems. I upgraded to the Wynn filter & put a Rockler hose on it, works great & at that price it's a bargain. I also bought a remote for it, very handy, I'd suggest you might want to do the same
Dennis

Yitah Wu
11-04-2009, 7:58 PM
Someone recently notes that the "old" version was rated at 14 amps, the new one at 20.

I'm a bit skeptical that they really upped the motor - just "re-rated" it, very optimistically.

Saw one at HF last week - the felt bags are also probably optimistic for 5 micron but certainly better than the canvas bags.

BTW I have a PDF of the HF coup for this, if you want it, PM me with your email

Yitah

Greg Wittler
11-04-2009, 8:07 PM
Has anyone seen a DIY for adding a paddle to the Wynn Filter? I am going to pick up a HF DC tomorrow and want to get started on modding it asap.

Braun Reszler
11-04-2009, 8:15 PM
I found this on the Wynn site, http://www.wynnenv.com/paddle_cleaner.htm

When I upgrade my HF dc I will add this too it.

Ben Martin
11-04-2009, 8:26 PM
I have had this DC for about 4 months, works fine for me but I have done some upgrades. I have done the Thien seperator, stove pipe mod, Wynn filter and converted it to use 6" pipe. I have about 30' of 6" pipe hooked up to it with a single 90* bend and it SUCKS (in a good way...)! :D

http://i424.photobucket.com/albums/pp325/martbj/Bow%20Arm%20Morris%20Chair/IMG_2424.jpg

Jason Hanko
11-04-2009, 11:16 PM
Just curious Ben - did you modify the "Stovepipe portion" (section between the impeller and the piece with the Thien separator) to be 6'' as well, or is that still at the stock 5''?
If you did upgrade to the 6'' - how??

J. Greg Jones
11-05-2009, 5:56 AM
Someone recently notes that the "old" version was rated at 14 amps, the new one at 20.

The one I have is 4 years old and the manual that shipped with it is dated May 2003. It is rated at 20 amps peak, 2HP.

Karl Card
11-05-2009, 9:33 AM
I came across the motor and base for 18 dollars online and bought it and same here that I have nothing to compare it to except the shop vac but I here it does ok but that it is not 2 hp. more like 1.5. but that for the money it is pretty tight. I am really thinking of making my own filter frame and use a filter type insert for this and using a yardbag at the bottom. If anyone else has done any setup like this I would surely like the input. If I were to use replaceable filter inserts would they clog up to fast, or ??? what I mean by filter inserts is like a filter a person would use on there house air system.

Aaron Varmette
11-05-2009, 10:37 PM
Lee,
Would you happem to have a link oto or part number on the remote you are using?

Aaron

I've also not measured the amps it pulls, but thought I might add some practical experience. My entire garage (lights and 5 outlets) are on a single 15A breaker :(, and I don't yet have 220 run to it. Since I added the HF dust collector a few weeks ago, I have run it with any one of my tools (miter saw, band saw, little benchtop table saw, 6" jointer) with little issue. The only time I have thrown the breaker was when face jointing a 6" piece of hard maple. It definitely surges on startup, and my lights dim. So I always let the DC get up to speed, then fire up the tool. With the big tools wired for 220 (as mine will be hopefully very soon), you should have no problems.

One other recommendation. When I bought the DC, I also picked up the HF remote control starter. I think it was like $7, and it works very well.

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.

Lee

Lee Bidwell
11-05-2009, 11:35 PM
Lee,
Would you happem to have a link oto or part number on the remote you are using?

Aaron

Hey Aaron. It's this one:

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/itemdisplay/displayItem.do?itemid=97097&CategoryName=&SubCategoryName=

My HF stocks it on the racks near the DC.

Lee

Stephen Edwards
11-05-2009, 11:38 PM
I've been using this unit for nearly two years now. Never tripped a breaker with TS, Jointer and DC all on at the same time. I'll have to check if it's a 15 or 20 amp breaker for the DC unit. I think 20. I got their remote for it when I got the DC unit. I have a 55 gallon home made separator. I'm a happy camper. For $140, can't beat it. If it ever dies, I'll get another one.

Myk Rian
11-06-2009, 7:28 AM
I currently use my shop vac for dust collection. I'm looking at purchasing the Harbor Freight DC. It's rated for 1550 CFM at 20 amps.

Does anyone know if it really is 20 amps? If you have one, how does it work for you? I have a coupon to purchase it for about $140. I do have 20 amp circuits in my shop.
I run mine on a 15 amp circuit. Never a problem, unless I mistakenly plug in a space heater on the same line.

Jason Hallowell
11-21-2009, 11:33 AM
I have had this DC for about 4 months, works fine for me but I have done some upgrades. I have done the Thien seperator, stove pipe mod, Wynn filter and converted it to use 6" pipe. I have about 30' of 6" pipe hooked up to it with a single 90* bend and it SUCKS (in a good way...)! :D

http://i424.photobucket.com/albums/pp325/martbj/Bow%20Arm%20Morris%20Chair/IMG_2424.jpg

Nice keezer in the backround! As a homebrewer who's currently building one, I couldn't help commenting.

Greg Peterson
11-21-2009, 11:57 AM
I have this unit. Outfitted it with a Wynn Environmental cartridge filter and a 10' x 5" flex house that I also got from Wynn Environmental.

The first filter I recieved from Wynn was slightly damaged in shipping. It may have been serviceable but the gal I talked to at Wynn said they would send another filter. Several days later I received another filter and install kit. No additional charges. Wow.

I also ditched the OE power cord and installed a 15' 12 AWG cord so I can put this unit anywhere I want in my shop without using an extension cord or hogging any outlets. Although when I wired up my shop I put double ganged duplex outlets about every two to three feet on two separate circuits.

For a weekend warrior on a tight budget this unit offers excellent value. Even after considering the Wynn filter upgrade. If you want to take this unit 'over the top' search this site for the 'Thien baffle'. But be warned, it's a slippery slope.

Carl McGaug
11-21-2009, 10:41 PM
It's coming up at $249, not $140? Rockler is selling the Jet Dc-500 for $100 on black friday.Anyone have one?

Jason Hallowell
11-21-2009, 11:18 PM
It's coming up at $249, not $140? Rockler is selling the Jet Dc-500 for $100 on black friday.Anyone have one?

It routinely goes on sale for $179, which combined with one of the 20% off coupons comes to $144. I think mine came to just under $160 with tax.

Gerry Grzadzinski
11-22-2009, 9:32 AM
Can this be wired for 220V?

Jason Hanko
11-22-2009, 9:55 AM
Can this be wired for 220V?
Nope :(

(Ten character post minimum? But I dont...oh, there we go)

Robert Malone
11-22-2009, 9:56 AM

Carl, There is a coupon in WOOD magazine, issue 193, October 2009, page 77
for the HF DC item #97869, at $139.99, offer ends Dec. 25, 2009.
Also in issue 194, November 2009, page 77, $139.99, offer ends Feb. 6, 2010.

Like Steve, I measured the running amperage at 13 amps and on a dedicated 20A circuit.
I also upgraded to the Wynn cartridge.

And like Ben, I replaced the 5" rigid tube with 5" stove pipe. Thien seperator is next.

My switch went bad while it was running. I use a remote control so it's always "ON".
I opened the switch and saw a copper clip had moved. Put it back in place and works find.
If I was still under warranty, I would have called HF and said,
"the switch is frozen, can not move it at all and the DC does not get power"
and want a replacement, just to have when it happens again.

Carl McGaug
11-23-2009, 9:45 PM
Thanks Robert.My local newsstands are out of Nov.Maybe it'll be in Dec.I found the pdf but it has disclaimers for duplication.

Robert Malone
11-23-2009, 10:17 PM
Carl, I have all the WOOD issues from day one (1985) and have never cut a page but,
if I can save you $$'s and all it cost me is a stamp, I will.
I'll cut which ever issue you want and send you the page..
PM is you want it with address and it will be on it's way.
One woodworker to another. That's what we do here.

Carl McGaug
11-24-2009, 7:47 AM
Thanks for the generous offer.Let me try to find one locally.If I can't, I'll take you up on it.

David Hostetler
11-24-2009, 4:48 PM
I am sure this has been covered already... But I just had to chime in...

I too have the HF #97869, and mine is fitted with the Wynn 35A Spun Bond canister filter.

I fitted mine with a Thien baffle in the inlet ring to help keep the filter clean longer, after the first chunk got sucked in and sounded like a shotgun going off in my shop as it hit the impeller, I opted to go with a pre separator.

I have not had any sort of problem running the DC on a shared 20A circuit with any of my other tools.

The only dust leakage I found was where the lower bag meets the inlet ring. A strip of foam weatherstripping between the ring and the bag sealed that up nicely. This is common on this type of unit. Don't blame HF for that...

The CFM restriction won't be the DC itself, but the 4" line... But I must say, adding the Wynn filter really did wake it up.

David Hostetler
11-24-2009, 4:54 PM

I have been considering the stovepipe mod, and upgrading to 6". Do you have any problems caused by the stovepipe being 5", and the use of 6" inlet to the impeller?

Gerry Grzadzinski
11-24-2009, 8:53 PM
You can order it from Wood for about $11

Josh Reet
11-24-2009, 9:56 PM
Thanks for the generous offer.Let me try to find one locally.If I can't, I'll take you up on it.

Carl, my local Lowe's still has the Oct issue in their magazine rack.

Carl McGaug
11-25-2009, 5:45 PM
Thanks Josh.Found it there.

Josh Reet
11-25-2009, 6:09 PM
Also, FWIW:

If anyone lives near enough to a Grizzly to travel there rather than having it shipped (though shipping is just $10 it appears), Griz does have a canister that SHOULD fit the HF collector:

http://grizzly.com/products/Extra-Canister-For-G0548-G0562/H5783

According to this guy on amazon, it fits the HF collector just fine:

http://www.amazon.com/Grizzly-H5783-Extra-Canister-G0548/product-reviews/B00012YFIU/ref=cm_cr_dp_all_summary?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

However, he claims that the collector is 2 micron and not the 1 micron that Grizzly claims here:

http://grizzly.com/products/2-HP-Canister-Dust-Collector/G0548

I'm not sure of the real answer, but I'll ask next time I'm in Grizzly. The price of $170 is more than the paper Wynn 35A. But with shipping added to the Wynn the prices are comparable and the grizz comes with a cleaner/beater thing. With shipping added to both, the grizz is pretty much the same price as the wynn polyester. Perhaps even a bit cheaper depending on where you are shipping to (or if you can pick up the grizz).

Josh Reet
11-25-2009, 6:10 PM
Thanks Josh.Found it there.

Glad to help.

Carl McGaug
11-25-2009, 10:03 PM
As you see by my questions I have no experience with DC's.Are those canisters so much better that they justify a $170 price tag?

Stephen Edwards
11-25-2009, 10:59 PM
As you see by my questions I have no experience with DC's.Are those canisters so much better that they justify a $170 price tag?

You can buy the DC unit, as is, and buy a canister later if you think it's worth it. After you've used the DC unit for a while you'll have a better idea of the value, or lack thereof in your situation, of the canister.

A few folks have mentioned the switch going out on the HF unit. I got one of the remote control switches. That's certainly worth the 40 bucks or so. It'll save you a lot of steps and, one would think, prolong the life of the switch on the unit itself.

Good luck with your decision. For the money, the HF DC unit is a very good value.

Dave Cav
11-25-2009, 11:03 PM
Also, FWIW:

If anyone lives near enough to a Grizzly to travel there rather than having it shipped (though shipping is just $10 it appears), Griz does have a canister that SHOULD fit the HF collector:

http://grizzly.com/products/Extra-Canister-For-G0548-G0562/H5783

According to this guy on amazon, it fits the HF collector just fine:

I have the Grizzly filter on my HF dust collector. Works fine. I also have a Thein seperator. I am running 4" PVC drain pipe to 2 table saws, 2 RAS, a jointer and a shaper (with blast gates). No problems. Next year the dust collector is going to go outside and the filter will go away (dust will just vent to atmosphere) and the seperator will take care of the chips.

Robert Malone
11-26-2009, 7:21 AM

Carl, Wynn filters are make and shipped from Lancaster, PA, so shipping won't be bad for you.

Wes Bischel
11-26-2009, 11:47 AM
Carl, Wynn filters are make and shipped from Lancaster, PA, so shipping won't be bad for you.

I think they are over in Warminster, PA - which is an 1-1/2 hours away from Lancaster. (note area code and zip) May not make a difference in shipping, but just in case you were local and thinking of picking it up.

Just FYI, Wes

Josh Reet
11-26-2009, 1:43 PM

The wynn paper filter is also much cheaper than the spun poly one.

Mark Rios
11-26-2009, 7:43 PM
Just to help alleviate some confusion, I actually went to the HF site and saw Two 2hp DC's listed. One is listed as "2 HP Industrial Dust Collector" which is 14 amps and the other is listed as "2 HP Industrial 5 Micron Dust Collector" and draws 20 amps.

hth

Ron Carlton
11-26-2009, 8:49 PM
Carl, my local Lowe's still has the Oct issue in their magazine rack.

Here is a 20% off coupon. Looks like it will work.

http://www.harborfreight.com/hftusa/magpromos/popsci.pdf

Used the coupon today...no problems!:)

Mark Rios
11-27-2009, 12:18 AM
The coupon says that you have to use the original and that copies won't be accepted. I printed the coupon and it very much "looks like a copy".

I don't want to be arrested and convicted of fraud and go to jail for fifty years for using a fake coupon at Harbor Freight so I probably won't use it.

:D

David Hostetler
11-27-2009, 1:43 PM

They have a coupon in November's Wood Magazine for $139.00 for the #97869 2HP Dust Collector.

I wouldn't bother with the 1HP dust collectors. While the HF 2HP is overstated, it is a MUCH better DC than the 1HP jobs are...

David Hostetler
11-27-2009, 1:52 PM

Look at it this way. Air has to go through a semipermiable membrane (your filter element, either a pleated canister, OR a bag) at a certain level of filtration, meaning a given area of filtration media, is going to allow only so much air through at once... So which would provide more air flow, a filter media with 25 square feet of filtration surface at 1 micron filtration, or 250 square feet of filtration surface at 1 micron filtration.

Since air flow, and filtration capacity are key, it would make sense that the filter that provides more surface area would provide superior air flow for a given filtering level. And it's the pleats in the canisters that give us those numbers...

When you add up the cost of a Wynn canister, on top of a HF dust collector, you have $175.00 (what mine cost with shipping to my door) and $150.00 (what my DC cost including sales tax) you end up with $325.00. I **COULD HAVE*** ended up with a Delta 50-760 DC used for that money. But no cartridge filter. Arguable the Delta is a superior dust collector by design, but the lack of the 1 micron or better cartridge swung my dollars to the HF DC, and I do not have the least bit of regret over it...

Carl McGaug
11-28-2009, 1:54 AM
I believe the penalty is 30 years.Take a chance.:D

Jason Hallowell
11-28-2009, 5:03 PM
The coupon says that you have to use the original and that copies won't be accepted. I printed the coupon and it very much "looks like a copy".

I don't want to be arrested and convicted of fraud and go to jail for fifty years for using a fake coupon at Harbor Freight so I probably won't use it.

:D

If you sign up for the mailing list (either e-mail or paper) you'll get one of the 20% off coupons a couple times a month. I get mine by e-mail and print them out, and I've never had a problem even when the printer was running out of ink.

Alan Zenreich
11-28-2009, 5:56 PM
Recently they've switched emailing to 15% off coupons.

Not that big a change, but times are tough all around.

For the motorcyclists out there, Cycle World magazine has a 20% off coupon in one of latter pages of the magazine.

Mark Rios
11-28-2009, 9:28 PM
FYI, I went to my local HD and found both October and November issues of Wood Mag still available. Both had a "Harbor Freight" ad page with the coupon for the 20 amp DC for $139 and change and a 20% off coupon as well as coupons for other tools.

I hadn't picked up the magazine for a while so I bought both issues.

Jeff Springer
11-29-2009, 3:02 PM
From all I've read it's a good value. I have the penn state 1.5 (looks comparable) and added the thien internal to the ring and it has kept my filter much cleaner.

Gerry Grzadzinski
11-29-2009, 3:51 PM
Shipping is $16.95 + the $10. Total is $196.65

Josh Reet
11-29-2009, 4:27 PM
Shipping is $16.95 + the $10. Total is $196.65

Gerry is absolutely right. Since I don't ever have anything shipped from Grizzly, I didn't read the shipping info correctly. The $10 is an "oversize fee" and is in addition to the $16.95 shipping.

Mark Rios
11-29-2009, 5:11 PM
My local HF has the 20 amp for $179. If you don't have the special $139 coupon, the 20% off coupon will bring the price down to about $144.

I don't know how long the $179 price will be offered.

Yitah Wu
11-30-2009, 11:59 PM
I have a PDF of the coupon. PM me and I can send

Mark Rios
12-01-2009, 1:39 AM
I have two actual coupons if someone would like one if you're going to get the DC.

Mike Gager
12-02-2009, 12:21 AM
i photocopied the 20% off coupon from wood magazine and they took it no problem. its good til like february of 2010 so i made a pdf of it so i can just print it out whenever

Carl McGaug
12-03-2009, 11:02 PM
Carl, I have all the WOOD issues from day one (1985) and have never cut a page but,
if I can save you $$'s and all it cost me is a stamp, I will.
I'll cut which ever issue you want and send you the page..
PM is you want it with address and it will be on it's way.
One woodworker to another. That's what we do here.

Thanks again. Got the coupon and the DC.Put it together tonight but haven't fired it up yet.Seems like a heckova buy.This is a great site.

Mike Gager
12-09-2009, 11:00 PM
i got one of the HF dcs this weekend, i was worried i wouldnt have enough power to use it in my shop as its only running on a 30 amp breaker but when i turned it on it made the lights flicker for a few seconds and then all was fine. i ran the dc, all my flourescent lights, a 1500 watt heater and my table saw all at the same time no problem

btw this thing just kills my ridgid shop vac on suction! im quite happy just wish the cord was longer! oh and they left out some bolts too which was weird

Ron Carlton
12-09-2009, 11:49 PM
Left out one bolt on mine also. Local hardware on way from work had the correct bolt.

Bobb G
12-10-2009, 8:23 AM
As an update from when I asked the original question, the DC is been performing perfect. It has great suction...much better than my top of the line Sears shop vac (which is a wee bit old).

As others have noted, I was missing a lot of nuts and bolts. I called my local HF and the manager was very accomodating. He had me bring the original DC back in and we made a whole one with the floor display. He also compensated me for my time and troubles with a pack a lower bags and two more upper bags free of charge.

Carl McGaug
12-11-2009, 9:57 PM
Mine was complete. Sucks like heck (not hooked up to anything).I ordered some fittings to run it around the shop.I'll post how it works later.

Stephen Pereira
12-12-2009, 5:13 PM

Where did you get the coupon??I just check HF's site..the 2 hp DC sells for $249.00

Mark Rios
12-12-2009, 6:59 PM
Where did you get the coupon??I just check HF's site..the 2 hp DC sells for $249.00

There is one in the October issue and the November issue of WOOD magazine. The October coupon expires Dec. 25, 2009.

If you are sure that you are actually going to buy one then shoot me a PM with your address and I'll send you the coupon. Otherwise, I'd like to send it to someone who will actually use it.

Mike Gager
12-14-2009, 12:29 AM
sorry this is so big. just print out this coupon and HF will take it. you might want to resize it though

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=134865

Jack Entrekin
12-24-2009, 10:04 AM
Bobb,
i have one that i use on a 15 in planer, and a Shop Fox moulder (but not at the same time) and it can keep up with no probs. it is on a 20amp that has battery chargers on it and it has always worked fine. hoped this helps

John Galt
12-26-2009, 10:13 PM
I just picked up the same model the other day and here are the power specs on its first run as measured with a P3 Kill a watt EZ.

A couple of general notes: Appliances and tools with DC motors will almost always show an amp draw that is the "Peak" amps that the motor uses on startup to get the motor running from a dead start. The peak start up amps are usually significantly higher (sometimes double) than what the "continuous running" amp draw is as you can see below. Also the peak startup amp draw only lasts for about half a second, which is why some of the switches that plug into your table saw and dust collector gives a slight delay so you don't pop a circuit breaker.
As far as the 2 hp rating that is about as subjective as mega pixels or miles per gallon and is really being used as more a marketing figure. If the manufactures used the peak amp draw to calculate HP then what do you really get when the actual runtime amp is half. Kind of like a car manufacture calculating MPG with a car in neutral going downhill with a 50mph tailwind.

***Harbor Freight "Central Machinery" 2HP Dust Collector Model #97869
***New unit measured alone on its initial run without being hooked up to any ducting system or tool stations

- Startup amps = 23.67
- Continuous running amps with both caps open = 11.58amp - 11.60amp
- Continuous running amps with one cap closed = 10.93amp - 10.96amp

- Continuous draw Watts
- Both caps open= 859watt - 868watt
- One cap closed = 952watt - 958watt

Note the increase in amps with both caps open as the motor works harder probably due to increased drag on the fan blades from the extra volume of air. I'll also measure the power draw once I get it fully hooked up to my ducting and with it digesting debris from a table saw.

Here are the estimated cost of the units "continuous" operation based on its Kilowatt hour consumption and my estimated local utility rate per Kilowatt hour (your consumption will differ based on your local rates but should be pretty close)

- Yearly $708
- Monthly $58.60
- Weekly $13.72
- Daily $1.96
- Hourly $0.08

One thing I’m interested in seeing is how the amp draw changes over time as the brushes in this motor starts to wear out. As those brushes wear out I’m sure you will gradually see those amps creep up as the motor become increasingly inefficient. If anyone has a unit that is a few years old and has a lot of runtime on the motor and picks up a kill a watt device I’d be interested to see the numbers. Even if it was another manufactures setup.

Also to all the people who like to argue about numbers for the sake of arguing. Take this for what it is and what its worth. I only just signed onto this particular forum because I was looking for the same info before I bought my unit and could not find it. You guys had some other good info on this model and Bob G. had already asked the same question so I’m just trying to be a sport and post the info I got from mine.
In reality you could probably pull two identical motors off the same assembly line and they would have separate figures but should be close enough for general comparison.

Thanks Much,

John

Ben Martin
12-27-2009, 10:41 AM
Thanks for the comprehensive post John.

If you guys are looking for the Harbor Freight coupons, Slickdeals forums has a complete online list of the available coupons (so you can print them out) avalable from any magazine or newspaper. Sorry but can't post a link to it due to TOS...

Curt Harms
12-27-2009, 11:50 AM
I think they are over in Warminster, PA - which is an 1-1/2 hours away from Lancaster. (note area code and zip) May not make a difference in shipping, but just in case you were local and thinking of picking it up.

Just FYI, Wes

Wynn's offices are in Warwick, up the road from Warminster. The filters come from a warehouse in the Lancaster area. I picked mine up there (and got some Wilburbuds (http://www.wilburbuds.com/docs/store.html) at the same time for SWMBO:cool:).

Joshua Dinerstein
12-27-2009, 10:53 PM

I upgraded to the grizzly cannister. It fit perfectly without issue or need to modify. I love the job it does for me.

Joshua

Bob Haskett
01-12-2010, 11:22 AM
sorry this is so big. just print out this coupon and HF will take it. you might want to resize it though

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=134865

So if you print this out in color and resize, you should NOT have to buy the WOOD magazine correct? They should take this? If they ask do you just tell them its an email coupon?

Mike Gager
01-14-2010, 11:24 AM
yeah should be good to go. my HF always has teenage girls at the register, they never even look at the coupons when i use them. they just scan it and put it in a drawer

sorry the coupon isnt straight, i was in a hurry when i scanned it in

Jim Hawk
01-15-2010, 1:42 PM
Long time lurker, occasional poster....

I'm about to purchase the HF DC too. I was wondering what would be the ideal setup regarding piping. Is 6" too big? 4" too small? What would be ideal?

Thanks,

Jim

trevor adair
01-16-2010, 10:45 AM
Thanks for the coupon scan. I took it into HF in Parkville MD this morning and picked up the DC for the $139. I reduced the scan and printed it out, despite the reduction the bar code would not read at the register, the kid that was working the register paged for a "manager for a price reduction" The manager came up and without looking at the coupon punched in her code and I was on my way with what I consider a great deal. Now to spend twice that on a canister and accessories :(.
I guess being a new creeker is like American Express, "Membership has its
privileges:)"

Mike Cruz
01-16-2010, 2:40 PM
Welcome, Trevor. Nice to see locals join. I haven't been to that HF...didn't realize it was there. Must not be too far from the Woodcraft, huh...

trevor adair
01-16-2010, 2:49 PM
Yes Mike, it is about a mile away, That was the first time I had been in there, found it because it is next to the MVA. As my wallet will attest I have been to the Woodcraft more than once, nice friendly folks in that one.