PDA

View Full Version : Lancaster County PA Creekers? A question. (Xmas gift for SWMBO)

Eric Larsen
11-04-2009, 2:34 AM
Got a question for those of you in Amish Country.

LOML bought an Amish quit on eBay about three years ago. When the quilt arrived, she nearly cried -- it sucked. It was mass produced in some country where cheap quilts are made.

Does anyone know off the top of their head what the real deal costs? I think a big hand stitched quilt is probably out of my league this year, but who knows?

She's already getting a Shaker bedroom set. An Amish quilt to throw on top of it would be icing. But I have no idea what this stuff costs, and the web seems to specialize in 100-year old quilts that cost as much as my house. (And $100 quilts that look like they were stitched with a weed-whacker.)

ROY DICK
11-04-2009, 7:50 AM
http://www.800padutch.com/quilts.shtml#Lancaster%20County%20Quilt%20Shops
Maybe here?

Roy

Matt Meiser
11-04-2009, 7:57 AM
IIRC, the one we got from the basement of someones house, down a long driveway on a side road with a small white sign cost around $400. And it was a cheap one that is one-sided.

Greg Portland
11-05-2009, 7:23 PM
"Amish Quilt" to me means sewn by an Amish or Menonite craftsperson. Note that they can be machine made. There are also plenty of traditional quilt patterns sewn by non-Amish.

A small crib or wall-hanging quilt runs $200-$400. A full bed size quilt runs $1k-$3k. The type of quilt, amount of detail, and skill of the craftsperson determine the price.

Eric Larsen
11-05-2009, 10:42 PM
"Amish Quilt" to me means sewn by an Amish or Menonite craftsperson. Note that they can be machine made. There are also plenty of traditional quilt patterns sewn by non-Amish.

A small crib or wall-hanging quilt runs $200-$400. A full bed size quilt runs $1k-$3k. The type of quilt, amount of detail, and skill of the craftsperson determine the price.

I'm assuming that "going to Lancaster County and buying direct from the craftsperson" is going to be the least expensive option.

I'm ALSO assuming that the Amish are not marketing their handmade crafts on the internet. So I assume that when I see a quilt on the web, there is a middleman somewhere making a big payday on every quilt sold.

First-hand "I bought a quilt from Mrs. Yoder in XXXXX, and it cost $X" helps a bit. First-hand "A lot of Amish people are friends of mine and here's what they suggest" would help a lot more. (I might be asking for cloud castles. I realize that.)

If my assumptions are wrong, I would very much like to know about it.

Steve Southwood
11-06-2009, 10:20 AM
Check your local churches. We have a lady's club that sews every week and makes them. They all but give them away. But it keeps the gals out of the tavern:eek:. Not my line, theirs. They do make some every nice quilts, baby blankets, all that old school stuff, that is better than you can buy.

curtis rosche
11-06-2009, 11:03 AM
i live right in the heart of it out here. i can pick up some handmade amish quilts right down the road for about $50. some less some more.

curtis rosche
11-06-2009, 11:04 AM
what size and price range are you looking for?

Eddie Watkins
11-06-2009, 11:12 AM
About 15 years ago LOML and I went to Eureka Springs, Arkansas for a long weekend vacation. They have lots of handcrafted items there and most are really well done. The full size quilts were $400-500 then, I suspect Greg's $1,000 to $3,000 is about right now.

Jim Mattheiss
11-06-2009, 7:43 PM
I was in a quilt shop in Bird in Hand PA, which is right in Lancaster County PA. There were 2 LOL (little old ladies) in there sewing.

I got to sit down in a Maple Morris chair with QUILTED Maple arms (just to get this post on topic :) ) and chat with them.

They were very forthcoming - they said how many hours they put on average into a quilt and how much they get for the quilts.

The quilts were in the > $1,000 range - which is out of my range.

The Morris Chair was in the > $3,500 range which is why I'd build my own first.

Cheers

Jim

Eric Larsen
11-07-2009, 1:40 AM
what size and price range are you looking for?

Cal King. I don't really have a price range. I'd rather buy less expensive than more expensive. But I'm not interested in "cheap." I'm looking at this purchase with the same mindset I have when I look at big power tools.

I am all for a solution that involves two tickets to Pennsylvania. (Although that instantly makes this purchase a "next year" expenditure.) I really like the state. And I get the bonus of a side trip to Pottsville. Tiffany glass stained windows at the local church AND the Yuengling Brewery. My kind of town.

fred marcuson
11-07-2009, 8:24 AM
imho ,
2 tickets to lancaster is what is needed .
i live here and have shopped for a quilt before (it has been a long time ago , so i don't feel qualified to talk prices )
that way you can see what you are getting , and won't be disappointed :)
derf

Eric Larsen
11-08-2009, 12:45 AM
imho ,
2 tickets to lancaster is what is needed .
i live here and have shopped for a quilt before (it has been a long time ago , so i don't feel qualified to talk prices )
that way you can see what you are getting , and won't be disappointed :)
derf

But where to go and look for quilts? Any shop selling quilts is going to be mark-up city. And it's not like I can just knock on random doors that don't have power lines running to them and ask, "Hey, I noticed the lack of electricity*. Do you make quilts for sale?"

* Note - It is not my intention to mock the Amish with that statement. It just seems to me that the only way to know where to get the good stuff without paying through the nose is to know the right people.

It's not like there are signs in front of the houses that read, "The Yoders -- Heirloom Quilts for Sale." Right?

(The only reason I use the surname "Yoder" is that it was in that ridiculous Tim Allen movie awhile back.)

fred marcuson
11-08-2009, 9:47 AM
It's not like there are signs in front of the houses that read, "The Yoders -- Heirloom Quilts for Sale." Right?
you will be pleasantly surprised :)
a drive down the main drag will give an idea how how well the amish cottage industries are doing .
i used to deliver out there , 'the amish route' . i haven't been on that side of town (i avoid it like the plague because of the tourists) since the spring ; but i know the home stores are out the with a sign hanging at the start of the driveway . also as long as it isn't raining they will be hanging their for sale quilts in the front yard .
it is a tourist trap !!
when my aunt was visiting a few years back we spent days just driving around stopping at every place that had quilts for sale looking for one for her to buy .
btw , she never bought one ; reason ......there were just too many to choose from !!!

Wes Bischel
11-08-2009, 6:13 PM
Eric,
Sent you an email yesterday via Sawmill Creek - let me know if you didn't receive it.

Wes

curtis rosche
11-08-2009, 8:50 PM
just go down a road and look for a stand. normally have reasonable prices, and good food too.

Andrew Schlosser
11-10-2009, 12:42 AM
Of course, if you are going to drive through the local towns out here on a weekend visit, don't plan on doing much business on Sunday. Most local businesses (and certainly the home shops) are closed on Sunday.

With a little bit of searching, you can find lots of quilt auctions. The Mennonite Central Committee runs one in Harrisburg where HUNDREDS of quilts go on the post; most done by local church groups. My wife is a quilter (and thus I am in tune with the costs of quilting) and I couldn't believe the prices that these were going for. Bigger queens going for less than $1k. The Penny Saver is a local paper that will list local auctions too. If you want, you could get a subscription for $20 or so and watch it for a while before you buy your plane ticket.

Eric Larsen
11-11-2009, 7:50 PM
Got it. Thanks!

Eric Larsen
11-11-2009, 7:53 PM
While I certainly don't mind paying for quality, my main fear is paying egregious markup. LOML knows the good stuff from the bad stuff. So it will have to be a combination holiday/quilt-buying trip.

While we're on the subject of the Amish -- why hasn't anyone made a woodworking video of what they do in their wood shops? I'd buy that DVD in a minute, if it was well made and geared towards woodworkers.

curtis rosche
11-12-2009, 3:33 PM
they dont make a video on their work because it is against the rules of their church to be photographed or recorded, unless they have specific permission from the head of their church, and they arent allowed to do it for profit. and atleast for around me, they do everything the same as you do, just that their machines run off of compressed air, or they run off hydraulics. not many amish around here have hobbies, its either their job or they dont do it. so there arent any personal woodshops.

you should see some of the mudd sales around here, a few are full of motors because the amish have ripped them out of a machine to be run on a different source. they go for cheap.

Eric Larsen
11-12-2009, 11:17 PM
they dont make a video on their work because it is against the rules of their church to be photographed or recorded, unless they have specific permission from the head of their church, and they arent allowed to do it for profit. and atleast for around me, they do everything the same as you do, just that their machines run off of compressed air, or they run off hydraulics. not many amish around here have hobbies, its either their job or they dont do it. so there arent any personal woodshops.

you should see some of the mudd sales around here, a few are full of motors because the amish have ripped them out of a machine to be run on a different source. they go for cheap.

How do they compress air without electricity? Are they running compressors and cabinet saws with with water wheels and a lot of gearing? (Again, not at all mocking, just interested. I don't know much about the Amish.)

I'm guessing there are probably "mass market" workshops that make those space heaters that are advertised daily in my local newspaper and "high end" shops. Is that correct?

It would be GREAT to get a high-end workshop to release instructional videos on PBS, non-profit of course. I can't see how this would be anything but a benefit to the Amish community at large. Even non-woodworkers would be interested in how they make furniture, and it would likely result in more business.

curtis rosche
11-13-2009, 8:29 AM
they are allowed to have desiel engines, they run the compressors, i dont think that anything but lighter tools can run on air. but all the others run on hydraulics. the shop down the road from me makes barn doors and such and they have a 36inch planner:eek: run on hydraulics.

around here they either make barn doorsand things, buggys, or tables and cabinets. there isnt really a highend shop and a low end shop

curtis rosche
11-13-2009, 8:30 AM
they work the same as everyone just that their work ethic and valuse are a bit different

Eric Larsen
11-13-2009, 7:23 PM
they are allowed to have desiel engines, they run the compressors, i dont think that anything but lighter tools can run on air. but all the others run on hydraulics.

Seems to me the rules are rather arbitrary then. Didn't know about diesel engines being ok (other combustion engines I assume are not).

Is there some rhyme or reason to the rules? Or are they just making it up as they go?

fred marcuson
11-13-2009, 8:03 PM
Is there some rhyme or reason to the rules? Or are they just making it up as they go?

well their 'rules' are part of their religious beliefs .
and sometimes it depends on their community what their rules are .
yea it is confusing , but they are a very close knit community and very private . it takes awhile for an 'outsider' to gain their confidence ; but you will still be an outsider .....

I'm guessing there are probably "mass market" workshops that make those space heaters that are advertised daily in my local newspaper and "high end" shops. Is that correct?
and this one is totally incorrect ....:)
just advertising hype ...