PDA

View Full Version : Flower Question for anyone that might know???

Tom Henry
11-03-2009, 10:53 PM
This is very off topic. Does anyone know if the Portulaca flower will live through a PA winter and if so what do I have to do to prepare it for the winter?

Tom

Belinda Barfield
11-04-2009, 8:00 AM
Tom,

I'm pretty sure Protulaca won't live through one of your winters. Seeds should be sown after the last frost and a mild cool snap will usually kill the young plants. I suppose you could try moving it inside, but I can't recall ever hearing of portulaca as a houseplant. Maybe yours could be the first!:)

Zach England
11-08-2009, 12:04 PM
It is a half-hardy annual. It will survive light frosts. Some heirloom cultivars will self-sow. They are easy enough to start from seed, so any digging and attempting to sustain seems like a quixotic and perfunctory exercise. I imagine autumn damp will have a portulaca well on its way to death before frost will.

Lee Schierer
11-09-2009, 1:54 PM
It depends largely on the part of PA you are in. Here in snow country it wouldn't have a chance unless we dug it a month ago and shipped it to Belinda for the winter. Where you are it might reseed itself.

Joe Mioux
11-09-2009, 2:49 PM
i am in the greenhouse business and have grown a lot of it over the years.

no, it won't overwinter, but it will re-seed itself.

joe

Belinda Barfield
11-09-2009, 2:53 PM
I like Lee's idea. Y'all just send all those plants right on down here to Georgia. :D