PDA

View Full Version : Japanese inspired bowl

Mike Minto
11-03-2009, 9:02 PM
here's a piece of spalted maple that i turned, trying to copy the shape of some bowls i saw in a sushi bar. 2-wheel buffed, will be finished with renaissance wax. sorry about the poor photog. about 7" tall by 6" wide. critiques/comments always welcome. mike

Matt Kestenbaum
11-03-2009, 9:10 PM
Beautiful piece. And nice to know the inspiration came over a cup of sake and a california roll!:D

Bernie Weishapl
11-03-2009, 9:58 PM
Great looking piece. Nice finish.

Steve Schlumpf
11-03-2009, 10:32 PM
Interesting form Mike! Love the wood! I absolutely love Sushi and thought I was fairly familiar with most of the traditional Japanese bowl forms but must admit - this is new. Was the bowl used as decoration or did it hold something? Just curious!

Nice work on this! Thanks for sharing!

alex carey
11-04-2009, 12:09 AM
Nice shape and love the spalting. I too didn't know this was considered a Japanese style.

Mike Minto
11-04-2009, 11:17 AM
steve, i was just sitting at the sushi bar of a local restaurnat and saw 3 of them together - nothing in them - alex, next time i'm there, i'll take a photo and post it, too (now you've got me wondering just how accurate my memory of these bowls was! ;)). mike

David E Keller
11-04-2009, 12:11 PM
Nice bowl and nice wood. Agree that it doesn't seem too japanese but if you removed the top 1/3 or so it would look a bit like a rice bowl with that bottom curve and the foot. All in all, I like it as is

Jon McElwain
11-04-2009, 3:01 PM
Interesting form! I did notice that a little bit of finish dripped into the inside of the bowl. With such a large opening and view into the inside of the bowl, I would recommend finishing the inside. I would be interested in seeing the same form without the tenon foot. It seems like it would look good flowing into the table. I do like the spalting and the flow of the curve disappearing into the bowl!

Mike Minto
11-04-2009, 3:49 PM
jon, actually the inside of the entire bowl has 1 coat of antique oil (the bowl has 3, forgot to note that). i vascillated about whether or not to finish the inside of the bowl more, and ultimately decided not to. when i have this decision to make, i think of hand thrown pottery - most often left rough inside. must just be some of the grain in the bowl that looks like a drip of finish, i'll have to look. the foot is a necessary part of the bowl, as i say it's based on some others i saw - and they had a foot, as this one has. mike

Jon McElwain
11-05-2009, 3:38 PM
Well, most important is it is well done, and I'm going to have to try the rim treatment in some form or another. Thanks for the post!