PDA

View Full Version : Dust Collector Modification and Question

Jim Baker
09-27-2004, 10:55 PM
I thought I heard or read somewhere that I could mount the motor and impellor of my Jet 1100 dust collectors so that the intake is pointing up instead of out as it came from the factory.

Can anyone confirm or deny that this is OK? I would like to do it this way since my pipes are in the ceiling and this would allow me to avoid an extra turn.

I have two Jet 1100 collectors. My plan is to run one central line and then put on a 6" wye at the end so that both collectors can pull at the same time. Is this a better idea than having half of the machines running to each collector?

I plan to run my main lines in 6" metal. What guage do I need?

Joe Meazle
09-27-2004, 11:59 PM
Jim,

OK or not, the intake on my 1100 points down. It is bolted to the wall of my shop. It has been that way for close to a year. I have had no problems yet. Chris D. of "Woodworking at Home" has his delta DC reconfigured and attached to a cyclone. I can't recall which way his is directed. I didn't think to ask before i reconciguried mine. I just figured that pushing air would always provide more stress than gavity. Hope that helps. I am by no means an expert in this area.
Joe

Jack Diemer
09-28-2004, 12:20 AM
Cyclones run with the inlet pointing down. With that said, I can think of no reason why you couldn't point it up. I have even heard of people mounting the dust collector upside down from the ceiling and reversing the top and bottom bags.

24 or 26 awg metal should work fine. I used many 30 awg fittings with my shop. If I was to do it over again, I would probably buy my fittings at Kencraftcompany.com.

Greg Scott
09-28-2004, 9:26 AM
Jim,
I have a 1200 that points up and it is working great. I contacted Jet before I made the modification and they said that it was not recommended it should not cause any problems. I'm sure they wont recommend it just for the CYA factor if there was some kind of liability issue.
Greg

nic obie
09-28-2004, 1:31 PM
Jim,
I have 2 HF DCs "wyed" to a 6" main running thru a Penz cyclone and am extremely happy with the results. I think you will be shocked at the difference in performance over running a single unit.