PDA

View Full Version : Intro

Rob Currey
11-03-2009, 6:49 PM
I figured I do a bit of an intro before I start posting the "which tool should I buy" threads ...

I've managed over the years to get by with "hand me downs" (typically via fathers/stepfathers passing away). The 50's vintage craftsman tablesaw and planer would handle most of my weekend duties. I've also accumulated some other tools for specific needs (12" dewalt cutoff for a deck, etc).

I'm now seriously considering finally getting a *real* set of equipment and tools for some woodworking. The goal being some cabinetry and possibly furniture.

I currently have a property with a very nice shop (24wx50dx20h). Twin 200a service, 70a@220 drop for welder, 3x30a@220 (6 total outlets), etc. Sorry 'bout the gloat:)

I always tell people I purchased a shop with a detached house.

I'm also going to sell this place and relocate out of "Wet"ern Washington down to Jefferson state (http://www.jeffersonstate.com).

So, some preliminary questions ...
1) Should I buy equipment now? (considering I *will* be moving within the next year or two)
2) Thoughts on future "space" I should plan for in the new shop? For example, I'm debating building my own cabinets (and/or doors/molding/etc) for the new house ...

Rob

P.S. New shop will be built before (or during) the new house build, and will be a "dream shop" (as close to that as possible at least).