PDA

View Full Version : First Projects for newbie shop

Rick Prosser
11-03-2009, 4:40 PM
Soon (I hope in the next 3-4 weeks), I will have a shop building to start setting up woodworking in.

Once the building is up, I will need to install plumbing and electrical, then I can start on wood projects. It is a little early to start on the wood projects now, but I can be thinking them thru while finishing out the building (and start purchasing material).

There are probably a few "support" projects that I should put at the top of the list for building (or maybe purchase if it makes more sense). By support project, I mean projects that will make the future projects easier or possible to build. Things like a table to work on, or a jig to cut 90 degrees, or a box to hold nails..whatever I will wish I had already done when I go to build that fine dining room table or cabinet.

Power tools: I have a circular saw, a chop saw, jig saw, drill press, grinder, plunge router, small band saw, and a lathe. I purchased a SawStop table saw, but have not opened the box yet...real hard to resist... :p

I have 12v battery drill/screw motor, assorted cheap hand tools, a couple sheets of 3/4? OSB, some 2x4s, and some saw horses.

I have experience with all of the tools, but am a beginner with router, band saw, and table saw.

Some of the items I have considered: Work bench (simple table or "real" with vises and such?), table saw jigs, material storage racks.

So, what would you put on the list of initial wood projects - and in what order?

Danny Hamsley
11-03-2009, 4:43 PM
You will need a jointer and planer. Sorry to add to the list of expenditures.

Tony Bilello
11-03-2009, 6:53 PM
I build furniture and the most important tool you will use is your tablesaw. Next comes the router. With those two you can build simple jigs to do just about everything else. Since jigs are usually very specific, I wouldn't build one until i needed it. That will save the duplication if the first one is too large or too small. Remember, jigs must be stored someplace.
I recently started a shop from just about nothing as I lost all of my tools during a hurricane 4 years ago.
I started with a router and a table saw and of course a drill. My first project was to build a workbench. Look at my profile albums for photos.
After the workbench, I needed an outfeed table for the table saw.
Then I was ready to kick some butt. I built some tables, doors for my boat and other stuff.
My next major purchase was an air compressor with a brad nail gun and a narrow crown staple gun. If you are going to build furniture these are indispensable. I use my air nailer regularly and I mean regularly, for throw away jigs as well as permanent jigs and to hold things together while the glue dries. Also for spraying. Once you start using air nailers and spray guns, jobs go quickly and easily, and you will never know how you got along without them.

glenn bradley
11-03-2009, 7:39 PM
So, what would you put on the list of initial wood projects - and in what order?

I started with a rolling worktable (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=107733&d=1232662995) that provided storage, a worksurface and vise positions. It was my first and last project made on the floor. I thought it would be temporary but, years later . . . still in use. After a few years and learning a thing of two I would probably go in this order more or less:
- Consider your wall use format (I went with the cleat system (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=107656&d=1232573981) as fixtures can be rearranged at will. Love it still).
- Sheetgoods storage (I don't use much but it takes up room fast if left on-corralled).

- Lumber rack (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=129947&d=1255378138) (its a shame to ding up good material moving it from place to place so you can work). If you don't want to go full blown right off the bat, you can make these out of scrap ply and screw them to the rafters:

- Workbench (what to make with those carefully stored sheetgoods and lumber)
- Fliptop (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=127268&d=1252338997) tool stand for two tools (I started with the CMS and the planer, barely use the CMS anymore, swapped the position for a belt/disc combo).
- Outfeed for the tablesaw (add storage for cutoffs, drawers for smaller stuff)

- Router table (wouldn't want to be without it, see above pic)
- Small parts storage (boy they accumulate fast and will snowdrift into the most inconvenient spots if not organized).

- you will probably already have made various jigs and such by now like

Zero clearance inserts
Push blocks
Circular saw or router straight line guide
Router dado jig
Tablesaw sled
Coping sled
Sacrificial fences
Circle cutting jig

Many hours of enjoyment and wonder await :D. Have fun.

Ken Shoemaker
11-03-2009, 7:49 PM
First thing you need is: The ability to come up with a good excuse when you buy something your wife thinks you don't need... Man you'er hosed like the rest of us!!!! :cool:

gary Zimmel
11-03-2009, 7:52 PM
I agree with Glen, some sort of table or bench would be the place to start.
From there it is easier to do your other projects for the shop.

My shop has been a never ending upgrade.
The cabinets have been replaced a couple of times....

Maybe it will be fully completed to my needs and wants someday.
In saying that my shop is half torn apart again to accommodate another lathe.

Glenn, that small parts storage pic is great.
And I thought I was a little organized...

scott spencer
11-03-2009, 8:42 PM
A decent workbench is an excellent early project...it's an important tool and will be useful for all your other projects. It can range from extremely simple and crude to a full blown bench that you'll use for decades. Lots of free plans around.

Bob Rufener
11-03-2009, 9:25 PM
I'd build some storage cabinets and/or shelf units to store hand tools etc. You didn't mention a router table. There are a number of plans out there for decent router stands.

Rick Prosser
11-03-2009, 11:23 PM
First thing you need is: The ability to come up with a good excuse when you buy something your wife thinks you don't need... Man you'er hosed like the rest of us!!!! :cool:

Yup.

The only thing that usually works is something safety related - that is how I got the SawStop. One look at the hot dog video was all it took:cool:

Danny - The planer/jointer is on the list, but I will have to make do for a while.

Bob - Maybe I can incorporate a router table into the table saw? I see those regularly in posts.

Looks like the work bench has the early lead...makes sense. I am NOT going to ask "What is the Best workbench to build" :D

...at least not yet ;)

Jeff Monson
11-04-2009, 9:15 AM
Rick, lots of good plans out there on workbenches, that would be 1st on my list, also build one with one or two good vises. Also if you are not too familiar with tablesaws read up on safety and proper techniques for different cuts.

Don Jarvie
11-04-2009, 3:55 PM
This is a good stage to think about your layout for the shop. Looking at everyones posts regarding shop cabinets and storage shelves. This way you can build up your skills working on things for the shop.

I've seen some shop cabinets look better than cabinets in homes so you can go to town.

Also, combining ideas can get your mind thinking on how to put projects together so you can create your own projects and not having to use plans.

Most of all enjoy yourself