PDA

View Full Version : Woodworking Shops in NY City?

James MacArthur
11-03-2009, 3:37 PM
Done a quick search on google an I must be using the wrong term but can't seem to find a good proper woodworking store in the best city in the world!

I'm looking for somewhere that would ideally stock Veritas and Lie Neilsen and be a proper woodworkers store not general DIY type thing.

Thanks in Advance!

Cliff Rohrabacher
11-03-2009, 4:17 PM
Constantine's is in NY I believe.

Zach Dillinger
11-03-2009, 4:48 PM
http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com (http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/)

Brooklyn, NY.

Tom Adger
11-03-2009, 7:17 PM
I didn't know they had any wood in NYC, except maybe Central Park. Wouldn't it be a hoot to see someone go in there with an axe?

Jim Becker
11-03-2009, 7:33 PM
Garrett Wade, but I don't know if they still have their retail store anymore. Tools For Working Wood is excellent.

Peter Quinn
11-03-2009, 7:35 PM
Used to be Garret Wade in Tribeca, but they are now closed and are a mail order/internet only firm. I don't know of any other wood working stores in Manhattan (lived there for 10 years). Maybe check Long Island if you have transportation? Or toolsforworkingwood in Brooklyn? Or perhaps search in Jersey?

Thing is it may be a great city, but its tough to set up a shop in your average apartment, so that leaves industrial spaces and professionals that don't have time to shop. Not much room for retail wood working businesses to survive, and store front space is expensive.

Jeffrey Makiel
11-03-2009, 7:57 PM
I don't believe there are any in Manhattan. Hobby shops are pretty scarce too.
-Jeff :)

Dale Coons
11-03-2009, 8:37 PM
+1 Im in detroit but stop by there fairly often when in manhattan on business. 27 w 20th st suite 507. Lot of stuff crammed in a fairly small space, but they are helpful and will let you try a lot of the tools out on a workbench they have set up there

John Shuk
11-03-2009, 9:07 PM
Constantine's isn't in the Bronx anymore. I think they have some presence in Florida though.

Alex Leslie
11-03-2009, 11:44 PM
About an hour North in Yorktown, there is the Tool Nut. One of the most complete assortments of woodworking tools I have ever seen. Also at toolnut.com.

russell lusthaus
11-04-2009, 11:35 AM
The tool nut is great place for contractor tools, but they run a little short on quality handtools.

Roger Benton
11-04-2009, 12:10 PM
+ 3 or 4 on tools for working wood. they don't carry lie nielsen or veritas but they carry clifton planes and high end hand tools, sharpening, finishing, carving, etc products. you can try most of it in the store, there are benches and scrap wood. they stock most festool products as well.

also, haven't been here myself yet but force machinery in union, NJ ( http://www.forcemachinery.com/ ) is a rockler retailer, they seem to have the place set up as a try before you buy situation, including central dust collection for machinery demos. the website is a little lacking as far as info on hand tools, anyone here have more insight on this place?

side note, concerning the central park comment above, every time a large storm rolls through there are dozens of trees either felled during or after due to damage. They mulch them! Some colleagues and I are talking to the nyc parks dept about acquiring some of this material... whether for new park installations like benches, railings, gazebos or playground fixtures or for personal use. Keeping our fingers crossed....

Jeffrey Makiel
11-04-2009, 12:51 PM
I live about 10 or 15 minutes from Force Machinery. They've been there for a long time. They are very similar to a Woodcraft store regarding content except they may have a little more machinery, and a little less woodworking gizmos.

They are not exclusively about woodworking either. They provide equipment to several trades. The Rockler "section" of the store is really not that big, but it was a nice addition to bolster the gizmo inventory. It was added about 18 months ago.

They sell Powermatic, Jet, Delta, Sawstop and all brands of portable tools including Festool. They also have a tool repair counter.

Unfortunately, they are a bit of a trek from downtown Manhattan.

-Jeff :)

Jim Becker
11-05-2009, 8:58 PM
+1 Im in detroit but stop by there fairly often when in manhattan on business. 27 w 20th st suite 507. Lot of stuff crammed in a fairly small space, but they are helpful and will let you try a lot of the tools out on a workbench they have set up there

Dale, some time ago, Tools for Working Wood (http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/) moved to Brooklyn. The address is at the top of their web site.