PDA

View Full Version : DVD recommendations?

Matt Stiegler
11-03-2009, 3:30 PM
I've taken a couple classes, read a slew of books, spent many many hours here, and made untold numbers of mistakes in my shop. Yet, believe it or not, I still have a lot to learn. So I thought I'd try a DVD or two. To date, I own none.

Any recommendations on especially good ones, on any/all aspects of handtool use?

I think I'm aware of a lot of what's out there, I'm just looking for feedback about which ones folks have found the most helpful. For all the gazillions of 'which book/magazine' threads here, I haven't seen any discussing favorite videos.

(And, as an aside, is there anyone else out there disappointed about the lack of woodworking DVDs on Netflix?)

Randal Stevenson
11-03-2009, 3:37 PM
You might do a search here on Smartflix and I think you will find both a rental place and recommended video's.

Matt Stiegler
11-03-2009, 3:50 PM
Thanks, Randal. Guess I just wasn't doing the right searches. That pulls up several helpful threads.

Jerome Hanby
11-03-2009, 3:53 PM
My local Woodcraft rents videos...

Or at least they did, I kind of went through their offerings quickly and haven't looked lately.

James Owen
11-03-2009, 6:58 PM
Matt,

I've found these videos to be pretty useful and informative.

All of the videos listed below are available from the Lie-Nielsen web site. Rob Cosman’s woodworking DVDs are superb, as are David Charlesworth’s. The couple of Chris Schwartz’s DVDs I've seen are also pretty good.

Brian Boggs:

Drawknives, Spokeshaves, and Travishers – A Chairmaker’s Tool Kit

David Charlesworth:

Hand Tool Techniques Part 1: Plane Sharpening
Hand Tool Techniques Part 2: Hand Planing
Hand Tool Techniques Part 3: Precision Shooting Simplified
Hand Tool Techniques: Precision Preparation of Chisels for Accurate Joinery
Chisel Techniques for Precision Joinery

Rob Cosman:

Hand-Cut Dovetails
Advanced Hand-Cut Dovetails
Rough to Ready
Hand-Cut Mortise and Tenon
Mastering the Dovetail Saw

Tom Law:

Hand Saw Sharpening

gary Zimmel
11-03-2009, 7:01 PM
I have all of the Rob Cosman DVDs and found them well done and very informative.

Matt Stiegler
11-04-2009, 11:40 AM
For others interested in this, other threads tended to agree with James' recommendations. Chris Schwarz's Course Medium & Fine and Building Furniture with Handplanes, also were popular.

Also, I noted in the deals forum that hartville has a 35% off sale now on all their DVDs, which include Cosman videos.