PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for routing Melamine?

Jeff Dege
11-03-2009, 3:30 PM
I'll be routing a miter slot in a Melamine router table top I'm in the process of building, in a couple of days.

Any hints? Things I should look out for? I'm planning on using Rockler's miter track.

Chuck Saunders
11-03-2009, 4:26 PM
Rout away, other than the obvious carbide bits should be no problem

Joe Scharle
11-03-2009, 4:30 PM
I use a downcut or compression bit to minimize chipping.

JohnT Fitzgerald
11-03-2009, 4:37 PM
I use a downcut or compression bit to minimize chipping.

This is good advice.

Another approach would be to somehow score or otherwise cut the edges where the dado would go, using a good blade (hi-ATB blade, or some other blade intended to cut melamine); then router the slot as you otherwise wood, making it meet the scoring marks.

Jeff Dege
11-04-2009, 11:17 AM
Thanks for the advice. I'll probably be making sawdust this weekend, and I've a much better idea on how to proceed.

Mike Gadget
11-04-2009, 12:12 PM
I just finished doing that myself. I used a good carbide 3/4 inch bit, and had no issue with chip out. The 3/4 inch bit was a perfect fit for the Rockler track. Now I just need to shorten my fence a couple of inches on each end....

Mike

Harold Burrell
11-04-2009, 12:34 PM
Rout away, other than the obvious carbide bits should be no problem

Oh, whew...

When I first read this, I mistook "carbide bits" to mean "bits of carbide".

You know like..."Rout away, other than the obvious potential of fragments of super hardened steel being propelled at VERY high rates of speed at your person should be no problem."

:eek:

;)

Matt Meiser
11-04-2009, 12:49 PM
Don't do it?

Melamine isn't going to make a particularly durable or sag-proof top. I'd get a piece of laminate for the surface and use well-braced MDF or plywood.

Byron Trantham
11-04-2009, 12:58 PM
Don't do it?

Melamine isn't going to make a particularly durable or sag-proof top. I'd get a piece of laminate for the surface and use well-braced MDF or plywood.

+1 from me

Mike Gadget
11-04-2009, 1:15 PM
Don't do it?

I guess that depends on what you use. The piece that I used was 1-1/4" thick, and has extra support under it. It is flat, and should stay that way.

Because I was not sure I would like the way mine worked, I used the melamine for a trial. If I like it, i will replace it with laminate later, and make adjustments to my track/plate layout.

Mike

Jeff Dege
11-04-2009, 2:21 PM
I've laminated 3/4" Melamine to 3/4" MDF. If it turns out to sag, it was cheap and I'll build another.

Harold Burrell
11-04-2009, 2:27 PM
I've laminated 3/4" Melamine to 3/4" MDF. If it turns out to sag, it was cheap and I'll build another.

Sag??? Yeah, that just might...if you park your car on it!

I'm thinking you should be pretty safe otherwise.