PDA

View Full Version : Something besides Pens

Bruce Shiverdecker
09-27-2004, 10:43 PM
When I started turning about three years ago, my first project was a "Weed Vase" for my Mother, who likes dried flowers. It was made out of Elm on a Shopsmith 520 which did two thinge. First, I found out that I liked to turn wood. The second thing I found was that The Shopsmith tool rest "Sucked" big time. I started looking for a buyer, so I could get a REAL Lathe. Due to small shop, I chose the Jet Mini. Couldn't be happer!

Sorry, I know this is a long read to get to today. I just finished my second vase. It is made of Walnut and is 6-1/4" tall and 4-1/4" in diameter at the top.

Any constructive criticism would be appreciated. Anything to help me improve the quality of my work.

Thanks in advance,
Bruce ;)

Dick Parr
09-27-2004, 11:11 PM
Very nice Bruce.

John Shuk
09-28-2004, 8:39 PM
Bruce,
I know we all need to improve but man I don't see any criticisms on that vase. I'm no expert but I like it alot. It seems an appropriate use of the wood.
John :D

Chris Padilla
09-29-2004, 12:53 PM
Bruce,

Very nice but I have to admit that the fat base distracts me...should be thinner/slimmer. In other words, the angle of the second pic looks good but then the first pic you see this huge base/leg that the vase is supported by. So there, a criticism! :)

John Shuk
09-29-2004, 9:20 PM
I have to say that it reminds me of a Bong!

Bruce Shiverdecker
09-30-2004, 1:29 AM
It was based on a Clay design I saw. I, too, wondered about the base. I thought I should have rolled it more on the bottom.

Thanks for all the comments, so far.

Bruce

Tom Sontag
09-30-2004, 1:20 PM
I think the best way to learn about form is to study the classic ones and ask yourself why they are so. Get a book on ancient greek pottery. Go to your local museum and look at whatever ancient sculptural stuff they show. Note what the last hundred years did with form and why. See if there is an art class or teacher around you where you can ask questions. Develop a sensitivity to proportion, different foot shapes and sizes, lip angles, everything.

It is a huge area and frankly requires most of us to step way outside of our comfort zone. What a rewarding journey though.

Bruce Shiverdecker
09-30-2004, 11:51 PM
That's a good comment Tom. I have done some shapes in a Greek form and I like their forms, however this one was Scandinavian.

I'm going to put it out for sale as is and if it stay through Christmas, I'll Jam Chuck it and do something with the base.

Thanks again,
Bruce

Jim Ketron
10-01-2004, 12:18 AM
The way I look at it everyone has their own taste!
I think it looks good! why make the same look over and over? some people may like it and some wont.
Just Like the old saying (you can please people some of the time, but you can't please people all the time)
I will admit some art is not appealing to me but it might be to you!
Just do them the way you like Thats what makes it Art!
Have fun!! thats what's important!
Jim

Tom Sontag
10-01-2004, 2:13 AM
Just do them the way you like Thats what makes it Art!
Have fun!! thats what's important!
Jim

I have no problem with your enthusiasm Jim. I like it. I will take issue with some of the above though. Doing them the way he likes makes them uniquely his. And maybe it is art. Many people have debated long and hard about "what is art" or " what makes it art" I think Duchamp (early 1900s)hanging a urinal upside down in a museum basically said to everyone that art is something made by an artist or art is whatever you want it to be or it is art if I say so. Whatever.

But GOOD art is different. And Bruce has asked for suggestions to improve. Lots of people violate certain 'rules' of proportion (like the golden rectangle) with success, but your chances of consistently creating gallery quality work is lessened if you do not even know what the rule is. Art school teaches people how to see, color theory, classical proportion, and lots of other things aside from technical material handling knowledge. People that are good at it IMO have a way of seeing and observing and experiencing that goes beyond the casual observer. There is a trained intensity that brings an awareness and sensitivity to their work. This can be self taught to a degree but the learning curve is better with a more formal approach IMO.

Fooling around and letting things happen is a great way to explore and learn about your own sensibilities. And clearly work done this way will not always succeed. And copying or reflecting a certain style is also a valid learning tool. Heck, painters throughout the ages go to museums to draw paintings.

But developing a successful style goes beyond chucking something up without developing a sense of what works and why. So in this case, if the base is wrong, why? What would 'fix it'? What other ways can the foot support that top? To me, that is the direction a discussion like this should go.

Tom
married to an artist

Gary Max
10-01-2004, 5:09 AM
Yah what he said.

Bruce Shiverdecker
10-01-2004, 11:07 PM
Evening Jim and Tom. I didn't mean to start a debate over what is or isn't ART.

I believe that you Both have a valid point. :D

Jim, I agree, Art is truely in the eye of the beholder and what I like is not necessarily what anyone else would like. This piece was an experiement in going in a new direction for me - taller items. I still have not found a hollowing tool that will allow me to do over the 6-1/4" I did here without chattering, down at the bottom. so things will have to be.

Tom, your comments are direct and valid. I used a proportion of 2/5ths for the bottom and 3/5ths for the flute. The largest diameter of the base and the flute are the same. As you said, studying Art will enhance the ability to understand all that encompasses Art. At age 62, I'm not going back to school, so I use the insite of those willing to give it to me. I am lucky to have many very knowledgeable woodworkers to help.

So, I thank you both , for your insite. AS I mentioned, I am going to see if anyone likes it the way it is. If not, I will make what adjustments are possible.

Take Care, "The joy of woodturning is that all you have to do is remove what's not needed to have something beautiful. Nature does tha hard part."

Bruce ;)