PDA

View Full Version : Laser Miter Saw

Darrin Davis
11-03-2009, 1:13 PM
I have a Porter Cable 12" Twin Laser Miter Saw that has just about met it's end. We've absolutely worn it out. By far the best miter saw I've ever used. Now what? They don't make them anymore and we have a miter saw and radial arm saw station like NYW and the fence and lower teir was built exactly for this miter saw. I'm sure we can adjust anything we need to but it would be nice to take the old on off and put one exactly like it back in place.

Any suggestions on a different replacement miter saw?

Prashun Patel
11-03-2009, 1:34 PM
I've seen good deals (and reviews) of the Makita.

If you've got $1300 burning a hole in yr pocket, you can always get a Kapex.

mickey cassiba
11-03-2009, 2:32 PM
I have a Porter Cable 12" Twin Laser Miter Saw that has just about met it's end. We've absolutely worn it out. By far the best miter saw I've ever used. Now what? They don't make them anymore and we have a miter saw and radial arm saw station like NYW and the fence and lower teir was built exactly for this miter saw. I'm sure we can adjust anything we need to but it would be nice to take the old on off and put one exactly like it back in place.

Any suggestions on a different replacement miter saw?
Have you considered a "Recon" PC? I think they're still out there, but don't quote me on that, as I haven't looked.

Gerry Werth
11-03-2009, 3:07 PM
Darrin, Have you looked on EBay? http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Porter-Cable-3802L-12-Laser-Compound-Miter-Saw_W0QQitemZ120480293520QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Def aultDomain_0?hash=item1c0d2f6290
Here's one for $380 new in box.
Personally, I'd buy a Ridgid. But if you loved your PC, go for another.

Homer Faucett
11-03-2009, 5:00 PM
Fine Woodworking's tool review indicates that the Delta 36-255L is nearly identical to the PC you have. I have the Delta, and agree it's a great saw. You might try picking up the Delta.

Kent A Bathurst
11-03-2009, 7:20 PM
Fine Woodworking's tool review indicates that the Delta 36-255L is nearly identical to the PC you have. I have the Delta, and agree it's a great saw. You might try picking up the Delta.

I have that Delta saw. There was an identical saw with the PC lablel when I bought it 6 years ago. Good saw. PC brand was dropped about 5 yrs ago. Unfortunately, I suspect it is out of production. Product line consolidation within Delta-PC-Dewalt-B&D-Stanley-Who Knows. I recently helped a (clumsy, inexperienced, etc) good friend source a Dewalt 12", with the laser accessory. Helped him design and build a table/bench for it and then he took the laser and the instructions and within 10 mintues had it installed and lined up dead-nuts. Works great, I think. Seems to be a pretty good saw.

Punch line - I knew I would be using it to help him on stuff when I went to visit - he really has no experience - told him the only way I would "assist" him with the recessed table/bench was for him to get (a) the Kreg infeed stop system, and (b) Forrest blade. heh-heh-heh. Spending other people's money is more fun than spendig your own. Like the man said "you want good friends, they're gonna cost you."

Rob Sack
11-03-2009, 10:45 PM

It's my understanding that they are identical, just with different badges. However, one carries a one year warranty, and the other carries a two year warranty.

Mike Rees
11-04-2009, 8:34 AM
I've read pretty good things on the DeWalt miters too. A miter saw is my next big purchase so I'm currently evalulating 10" vs. 12" (non sliding). I am actually getting more and more comfortable with DeWalt tools as a whole.