PDA

View Full Version : jointer ?

richard gaudet
09-27-2004, 10:29 PM
i'm trying to joint the edges of 1/16" thick venner on my 6" grizzly jointer. every time i make a pass then slide them next to each other, there's a gap on one end. it's a slight high spot in the center the venners(length wise). it's only about 1/32" in 30", but i can't seem to get rid of it. i tried adjusting the outfeed table up & down, the fence in & out. the only thing i could do was make it worse or the same.

do you think it's any adjustment problem?
or a techneic problem? ( this is the first time i have tried to joint wood that thin, and haven't noticed it before on thinker boards)

thanks for your help!
richard

Steve Jenkins
09-28-2004, 7:59 AM
I think it is just a thickness problem. I'd joint a thicker piece straight then use it for a straightedge to trim the veneer with a router. I'd carefully climb cut with the router to avoid tearout. Steve

Steven Wilson
09-28-2004, 9:53 AM
I would lay the veneer down and edge joint it with a plane on it's side.

Jamie Buxton
09-28-2004, 11:18 AM
i'm trying to joint the edges of 1/16" thick venner on my 6" grizzly jointer. every time i make a pass then slide them next to each other, there's a gap on one end. it's a slight high spot in the center the venners(length wise). it's only about 1/32" in 30", but i can't seem to get rid of it. i tried adjusting the outfeed table up & down, the fence in & out. the only thing i could do was make it worse or the same.

do you think it's any adjustment problem?
or a techneic problem? ( this is the first time i have tried to joint wood that thin, and haven't noticed it before on thinker boards)

thanks for your help!
richard

I can think of a few possibilities...

1) Maybe the workpiece started convex, and you're rocking it to follow the convexity when you plane it. Try bracing your hands against the fence to make sure you don't let the workpiece rock during your pass. Or make one jointing pass on just the middle of the board, to carve out the hump. This should leave you with a edge which is concave, not convex, which should get you out of the rocking problem.

or

2) The veneer is deflecting sideways in the middle instead of staying tight to the fence. With wood this thin, sideways deflection can happen.

or

3) The outfeed table is not adjusted correctly. If this is true, you'll find the same problem on any thickness of wood, not just veneer.

Jamie

richard gaudet
09-28-2004, 10:00 PM
i tried 3/4" stock tonight and had the same results! now, i'm really scrathing my head.

i was going to try the straight edge idea, but couldn't joint a straight line.

thanks for your input on the matter!
richard

Carole Valentine
09-28-2004, 11:41 PM
Have you checked your tables for flatness?

sascha gast
09-29-2004, 12:05 AM
i used to have the same problem. technique is one thing, it's hard to make such a thin piece follow the outfeed table.
i just kept practicing a lot.
also, take your blades out, hone them to 6000grit on a waterstone, install, adjust and you'll see, much smoother cuts. worked for me.

sascha