PDA

View Full Version : Hi New Guy!!

Tyler Howell
11-03-2009, 12:00 PM
New Guy Here.... Or a really old one.

This is the type of WW I've been doing the past few weeks and I have a question. This is mostly paper birch I use for heating and entertainment.
The bark is excellent for making canoes, baskets and starting fires. I only use it for the latter.

My concern is storing it in large quantities. I have about four 55 gallon barrels full, loosely packed. The quality that makes it such a great fire starter even when wet is the oily pitch.

My question is will the bark if store in bulk spontaneously combust like oily rags used with finishes and solvents?? It would make a great fire but one I don't need right now.

TIA
Great to see all the new faces and creative ideas.

Take care;)

Jim O'Dell
11-03-2009, 12:12 PM
Can't help you with the wood question, but it's good to hear from you! You need to make a thread to keep us up on what you're doing. Maybe something like, "The ongoing escapades of a man retired" or something like that! :D Lord knows you aren't sitting around in your retirement!!! :p Jim.

Ted Shrader
11-03-2009, 1:13 PM
Tyler -

. . . . And here I thought you had dropped off the northern edge of the earth. Good to see you back. (Sorry - can't help with the question, though.)

Regards,
Ted

Jeff Monson
11-03-2009, 6:07 PM
Little off topic but, Grand Marais, that is one of the nicest areas I've ever been to, I snowmobile there once a year and love every part of the Grand Marais area.

Joe Mioux
11-03-2009, 6:57 PM
Tyler?

tyler.

Tyler!

welcome back to the creek.

with all that wood....?????

you need a lathe!!! :D:p;):rolleyes:

John Shuk
11-03-2009, 9:21 PM
He has one!

Anthony Scira