PDA

View Full Version : Help with a new digital camera

Jeff Monson
11-03-2009, 11:47 AM
Its time to upgrade my digital camera, and I'd like some input from you guys based on experience. I was looking into cannon powershots (good or bad??)

Heres my guidelines.

1. as easy to use as possible
2. budget 200 to 300
3. would like a 3" veiwer
4. something with changeable batteries, dont want an internal battery like
my last camera.
5. good quality shots indoors and outdoors without having to make setting changes (good quality auto setting in other words:))

Paul Atkins
11-03-2009, 12:11 PM
I have 3 Canon powershots and love them, but the zoom on the S3 is a problem with the 12x lens. Lots of them have that problem that Canon will not deal with. My old A95 had a loose connection and Canon fixed it for free after the warrantee was up for 2 years. I like the swing out viewer and the handle for grip. Some cameras feel like a bar of soap, easy to drop. All three of these cameras take AA batteries, either rechargeable or standard. The SX series is a little bigger and won't fit in your pocket, but handles well. The G series is very good, but about 500 bucks. Seems like the camera companies have figured that 10 megs. is all you really need, but they have improved the size and quality of the sensors, so bigger is not always better. My 2 cents.

Montgomery Scott
11-03-2009, 12:12 PM
After my Nikon 4100 died I went through a lot of reviews for cameras. I decided to buy one for the kids to use and one for the wife and myself. The kids got the Canon A590IS. For the money it's a very nice unit and well rated.

For my camera I knew I wanted one with a better quality, wider angle lens. I was looking at the Canon G10, but the reviews were not as good as I hoped. I ended up buying the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ28K. Leica branded 18x zoom, 28mm equivalent lens. 10MP, large display, image stabilization, easy menu controls and a flash that has slightly better range than most. I also got it for only $250 at the time. It's been a very good camera. I'd buy it again.

Don Jarvie
11-03-2009, 1:29 PM
We just got a new Nikon Coolpix, I think 710, that has 14.5 megapix. Very nice. A little over 200 at Amazon.