PDA

View Full Version : Attaching a Table Top

William M Johnson
11-03-2009, 11:17 AM
I have gotten a request from my church to build a small (24" x 24") coffee table. Real simple with 4 square legs. I am wondering about attaching the top.

I have some 21" wide mahagony (hmm maybe the table should be 21" x 21"). Is there any problem with just using pocket hole joinery on the whole thing? Top to apron to legs.

This is obviously not fine furniture. I think I have read some threads that some folks allow the top to "float".

Thanks
Bill

John Keeton
11-03-2009, 11:23 AM
Well, first of all, using 21" wide mahogany makes it "fine furniture" in my book!! But, more to your question, if you pocket hole it to the aprons, more than likely it will either bow up or split, or both, depending on conditions. Much better to apply some sort of fastener that would permit wood movement across grain. Fix the center fastener, and elongate the holes in the front and back fasteners so the movement is equal on front and back.

Tony Bilello
11-03-2009, 11:28 AM
If it is a solid wood top, I would let it float. In the attached sketch, I couldnt find the metal hardware at the time. They are called "Z Clips" and various other names. They can be purchased at Rockler for aroung $3 for a set of 8 I think. They look professional and are easy to install.
Pocket hole screws dont allow for expansion. The metal clips are the way to go. When you make your apron, just use your Tablesaw blade to make the 1/8" wide slot (width of standard TS Blade) and make it about 3/4" deep. Then turn table upside down, set apron in place. Place clips so that they are lined up across the grain. Screw clips down to top. When table top expands and contracts, the clips will slide across the slot.

Doug Shepard
11-03-2009, 11:40 AM
Another fan of the Z-Clips though I usually just use a biscuit jointer to put slots where I need them rather than a full length slot on the apron. Other folks seems to prefer the figure-8 type fasteners.

Ben Silverman
11-03-2009, 12:40 PM
Take a look at this for an example of a way to properly fasten the top to the apron. Ben

[url]http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/page.aspx?c=2&p=40146&cat=3,41306,41309&ap=1

Sean Hughto
11-03-2009, 12:52 PM
Use wood "buttons" that are attached to the top and ride in a groove in the apron like in the cabinet in the attached picture.

William M Johnson
11-04-2009, 10:44 AM
Thanks guys Z clips it is