PDA

View Full Version : Remington 490 Trigger Actuated Low Velocity Fastening Tool

Peter Meacham
11-03-2009, 11:14 AM
Does anyone have an electronic copy of the user manual for the

Remington 490 Trigger Actuated Low Velocity Fastening Tool or a link to an on-line copy please.

Or - if you have a paper manual, does it state how to (safely) remove a stuck cartridge in the chamber.

The cartridge may be fired or unfired - it has been in there for years and did not show signs of being fired but it does not fire when trying to set a fastener. But it is stuck in place.

Thanks, Pete

Scott T Smith
11-03-2009, 8:47 PM
Pete, if it were me I would remove any nail in the chamber and soak the barrel for a few days in a penetrating oil, with the chamber side down. Oil is commonly used to make ammunition inert, and it should soak into the cartridge.

Next, I would find a solid steel rod that was longer than the barrel, and slide it up inside. Clamp the barrel in a set of gunsmith's "soft jaws" in a vide, and gently tap on the rod to push the cartridge out. Be sure that nobody is standing near or in front of the chamber. If it doesn't budge, let it soak longer. Gently heating the barrel outside of the chamber may help to expand it and loosen up the cartridge (use a hair dryer or something that won't get hot enough to cook off the charge).

Also, before doing anything study the back side of the cartridge itself. If it has been discharged, there should be a dimple somewhere on it - typically on the outer portion of the rim.

Although my preferred penetrating oil is Rust Reaper, for this application I think that I would choose Kroil instead.

Peter Meacham
11-05-2009, 8:03 AM
Scott

Thanks for your reply - I was finally able to remove the cartridge.

The problem I was having was that I did not have a manual for it - and I could not find one on line.

So, I went to my local HD and read the manual for another brand of gun and read the instructions on how to remove a spent cartridge - and it was spent, so I was not in any danger.

Issue resolved - thanks again for your suggestion.

Pete