PDA

View Full Version : A fun little project

Peter Luch
11-03-2009, 11:10 AM
Aloha,

Don't post as much as I should but thought I would share this with you all.

Wooden covered can koozie made from Koa.
Thanks to Jim Kountz for helping me with the segment size.

These are easy to make and if you go to craft or art fairs you should be able to sell these pretty quickly. Also great one of a kind gifts.

Segmented pieces are 7/16" thick by 1-7/16 wide with a 22.5 deg cut.
1-7/16" is the wide side measurment.
eight pieces are used.
Cut each piece 4-3/4" long minumum. Ending piece should be 4-1/4" tall.
Inside final diameter must be 2-3/4"......this is a must!!! You can purchase a large forstner bit for $19.00 from most online stores. Got mine at local Woodcraft.
Hold the piece on the lathe on the inside, marks will not matter as its covered.
Final wall thickness is around 1/4".
Koozie material is from http://www.koozielady.com/ get the blank unsewn shown at the first section.
Oil & buff the finished piece then glue in the koozie material with thick superglue about 1/4" down from the top.

PM me with any questions.

Aloha, Pete

Jess Wetherhold
11-03-2009, 11:13 AM
This is great thanks for posting.

Brian Effinger
11-03-2009, 2:38 PM
Wow! That is a great idea. I'll have to try this.
Thanks.

gary Zimmel
11-03-2009, 7:07 PM
Great little project Peter!

Kirk Miller
11-03-2009, 8:10 PM
Very Nice...I had been thinking of something similar but I wasn't sure where to get the Koozie material. Problem solved I guess...........lol

Bernie Weishapl
11-03-2009, 10:02 PM
Great looking project. Really nice piece.

Steve Schlumpf
11-03-2009, 10:27 PM
Nice work Peter! Very original! Believe this is the first turned koozie that I have seen! Pretty cool idea! Thanks for sharing!

Greg Just
11-03-2009, 10:39 PM
Peter - that is really nice and I agree would be a great seller at craft shows. Is there a bottom or does the koozie make up the bottom?

Thanks for sharing.

Peter Luch
11-03-2009, 11:15 PM
Peter - that is really nice and I agree would be a great seller at craft shows. Is there a bottom or does the koozie make up the bottom?

Thanks for sharing.

The Koozie material comes with a bottom so no need to make one.

Everybody is free to make and sell them as you want but I have dibs on the state of Hawaii! :D

Aloha, Pete

Jerry Rhoads
11-04-2009, 9:56 AM
Great idea Pete, and thanks for the link to the cozies.
I may have to get some done for Christmas presents.

Jerry

David Pearson
11-05-2009, 9:16 AM
I tried to make one of those last year using a hunk of cherry. Yours looks so much better! I couldn't hollow deep enough with my bowl gouge. Wish I had a big forstner bit. That would have saved a lot of time!!!

Peter Luch
11-05-2009, 10:20 AM
I had the same idea but the cost of Koa wood was too great so tried the first one out of scraps.
If your gonna make even a few the cost of the fostner bit is well worth every penny.

The first go around I actually modified a circle cutter and it worked but it was slow and not as near a good cut.

Aloha, Pete

Bill Bulloch
11-07-2009, 11:57 AM
I couldn't resist making this -- had to try it, so I glued up a couple today....your measurements were right on. Can't wait until Monday so I can order the Koozies. Wish I had some of that Koa wood.

Thanks for sharing.