PDA

View Full Version : Setting the Home Position in Mach3

Bryan Cowan
11-03-2009, 10:47 AM
CAMaster MC-2840 with Mach3 Software

In Mach3, I can move the home position to the corner of the work table and zero out X, Y, and Z and that is considered "home" at that point. So when I move the carriage across the table and then use G28, it'll bring me back to where I zeroed out the coordinates. However, if I exit the program and restart, G28 takes the carriage to a completely different location.

Is there something I need to save in the milling profile so it remembers the correct home position in the corner?

Regards,
Bryan

Guy Mathews
11-03-2009, 12:23 PM
Bryan,

I just posted this over at CAMheads for you.

http://www.cncci.com/resources/tips/how%20g28%20works.htm

The G28 command is the machines one true known reference position. All commands, programs and MDI lines use the G28 location as a known reference point.

The manufacturer of a machine will establish the G28 position when they build the machine.

ISO dictates G-code although some manufacturers will use the codes differently in certain applications. For example, G54 through G59 are used for Work Offset Coordinates, however CAMaster uses this for their Router Offsets when they have more then one router or spindle on a machine. It is semantics at that point, but you can see why it gets confusing sometimes.

When in doubt, consult your owner's manual. You are going to find what works on one machine may not work on another because some manufacturers do not always follow ISO.

Guy

Bryan Cowan
11-03-2009, 2:21 PM
Thanks Guy, that link helped a lot.

Gerry Grzadzinski
11-07-2009, 9:27 PM
You can set the G28 location in Config>Homing/Limits.