PDA

View Full Version : Delta 2 Speed Planer

Dennis McDonaugh
09-27-2004, 8:00 PM
How do you operate the cutter head lock? Do you leave it on all the time or flip it off when you adjust the depth of cut and back on?

Stefan Antwarg
09-27-2004, 8:21 PM
You have to unlock it or else the cutter head won't move. And then just lock it back up. After a while, you will be able to do the moves real quick.

Stefan

PS - After re-reading your post, I am wondering if you were really refering to the depth lock (if that's what you call it). In which case I have no opinion because the one time I used it, the depth changed on me. Therefore I don't use it anymore.

Jim Ketron
09-27-2004, 9:04 PM
My depth stop works just fine. you have to turn it clockwise while lightly pushing down on it untill it stops don't go past the stoping point or it will raise or lower the cutterhead (you will see the handle move on the cutterhead adjustment if this happens) then push it down and turn it clockwise 1/4 turn and it will lock it in.

Jim

Waymon Campbell
09-27-2004, 9:21 PM
My depth stop works just fine. you have to turn it clockwise while lightly pushing down on it untill it stops don't go past the stoping point or it will raise or lower the cutterhead (you will see the handle move on the cutterhead adjustment if this happens) then push it down and turn it clockwise 1/4 turn and it will lock it in.

Jim

Ditto to what Jim said. Mine works just fine but it does take a little gett'in used to!

Dennis McDonaugh
09-27-2004, 11:15 PM

Jim

Jim, I'm confused, what does the depth stop have to do with the cutter head lock. Aren't they separate devices?

Stewart Crick
09-28-2004, 1:43 AM
How do you operate the cutter head lock? Do you leave it on all the time or flip it off when you adjust the depth of cut and back on?

Dennis,

I have the Delta 22-580 13" planer. The head lock on mine is only used when changing or reversing blades. This procedure require you to remove the chip discharge hood which activates an interlock that allows the head lock to function while changing/reversing the blades. When your done, replacing the chip hood back in place disables this interlock so the head lock is inoperative. The only way I recall depth of cut coming into play is that you have to raise the cutter head to a certain height before you can access a port to insert a tool, which is used to manually rotate the cutter head to access each blade.

HTH,

Stu

James Giordano
09-28-2004, 4:43 AM
If your talking about the handle that flops around on the side, and I think you are, You use it after you set the depth of cut and then you send the board through, flip it back off and adjust for your next cut.
So, it's on during the cut and off when adjusting the depth of the cut. It is supposed to keep the cutterhead from moving while in the cut and reduce snipe.

I hope this is what you wanted to know. If not, just pretend this never happened.:rolleyes:

Dennis McDonaugh
09-28-2004, 10:36 AM
If your talking about the handle that flops around on the side, and I think you are, You use it after you set the depth of cut and then you send the board through, flip it back off and adjust for your next cut.
So, it's on during the cut and off when adjusting the depth of the cut. It is supposed to keep the cutterhead from moving while in the cut and reduce snipe.

I hope this is what you wanted to know. If not, just pretend this never happened.:rolleyes:

So I shouldn't be able to adjust the depth of cut while the cutter head lock is engaged? Is that right? I think I have been adjusting the depth with the lock engaged. I guess I'm trying to find out if its possible to move the cutter head with the lock engaged or if it indicates the lock is not engaging and I have a defective machine.

Thanks,

Carole Valentine
09-28-2004, 1:16 PM
Mine moves when the cutter head is locked. HDIKT? Because I am always forgetting to release it when I increase the cut. Hope I am not doing harm when I do that.

Joseph N. Myers
09-28-2004, 1:33 PM
I just checked mine and mine, like Carole, does move when its locked. To test it, when it is unlocked, you can stick your finger in the handle and turn the handle; when it is locked, you cannot turn the handle (or at least I can't).

Regards, Joe

Dennis McDonaugh
09-28-2004, 2:13 PM
Mine moves when the cutter head is locked. HDIKT? Because I am always forgetting to release it when I increase the cut. Hope I am not doing harm when I do that.

Carole,

I guess its working right then. I'm do the same thing you do. Just turn the crank to move the cutter head. As far as I can tell the cutter head lock does nothing to stop it from moving when you turn the lever.

James Giordano
09-28-2004, 2:15 PM
You can adjust the cutterhead with the lock on. It takes a little more effort therefore I would think it's not the best thing to do. My theory is if you have to force it ,it is probably wrong.

If your not sure whether it is on or not the cutterhead lock handle should move freely when not engaged and the depth adjustment should move effortlessly.

Like Carol I sometimes forget to disengage , or engage the cutterhead ,so far no damage to the machine.

You just have to try and make a habit of using it as part of the process.

Jim Ketron
09-28-2004, 6:16 PM
Jim, I'm confused, what does the depth stop have to do with the cutter head lock. Aren't they separate devices?
I was referring To stefan's post. I should have used a Quote:rolleyes:
Jim

Jim Ketron
09-28-2004, 6:25 PM
I use the lock then plane the board, unlock adjust the depth then lock it back, plane the board and so on until I hit the depth stop.
Jim

Ron Schweitzer
10-02-2004, 9:01 PM
On my planer it doesen't seem to matter if the cutter head lock is on or off. I have had the dust chute since I got it so Stewart describes what mine does. The depth stop works as expected, very solid
Ron