PDA

View Full Version : General 130 planer

Luciano Burtini
11-02-2009, 10:26 PM
This may be a long shot, but I am hoping that someone with, or access to, a General 130 14" planer can look at the cutter head and give me a couple of measurements. Specifically, I need to know the thickness and height of the chip breaker (gib) that locks the knives in place. The height will likely be different against the blade as compared to away from the blade and there will be a radius ground into the top of the bar. Also, the screw spacing & size if available would be beneficial. In fact, a sketch or photo of the blade and gib assembly would be best. I have a General exploded parts diagram, but they are not really clear and there are no measurements.

gib thickness:
gib height (front & back):
gib length:
# of screws: 9
distance between two outer most screws:
gib screw size:
space in head for gib and screw:

keeping my fingers crossed. Unfortunately, no dealer has a 130 in stock locally. PS I tried a Canadian msg board with no success so far...

Sam Layton
11-03-2009, 1:09 AM
Luciano, I have a General 130. Great planer. I will help you the best I can. I am now sure about everything you are asking, but I will give it a try. Tomorrow, I will take photo's and what measurements I can figure out, and we can go from there.

Sam

Luciano Burtini
11-03-2009, 11:56 AM
Thanks Sam

The main thing is the thickness and height of the chipbreaker as well as the distance between the two outermost bolts.

I will appreciate any information you can provide.

Luciano

Sam Layton
11-03-2009, 11:36 PM
Luciano, I hope this helps. Here is the info I think you want. We can go from the photo's to zero in more on the correct info.

Gib thickness 6.15 mm or 0.242 in

Gib hight (I am not sure what you mean front to back) 12.20 mm or 0.481 in

Gib length 13 15/16 in

Number of screws 9

Distance between two outer most screws 12 in on center

Gib screw size 6.35 mm or 1/4 in

Space in head for gibs and screws 9.25 mm or 0.364

Sam Layton
11-03-2009, 11:51 PM
The height I gave you is away from the blade. I could not tell if it is different next to the blade. It seems about the same. away from the blade it touches the cutter head. Next to the blade, the best I can tell it does not touch. I think it is because of the radius of the cutter head.

Sam

Luciano Burtini
11-03-2009, 11:58 PM
This is awesome. Thank You!

Gib hight (I am not sure what you mean front to back) 12.20 mm or 0.481 inThe gib that I am trying to replace has a hollow ground in the top edge. Yours does as well from the look of the pictures. The hollow in mine is off center resulting in one side of the gib being taller than the other side. The taller side sits against the blade.

Thanks again

Sam Layton
11-04-2009, 12:20 AM
Here is another shot. It does have a hollow grind. It looks centered on top to me. I hope these help.

Luciano Burtini
11-04-2009, 12:43 AM
Yup, looks centered to me as well. Mine is definitely significantly offset (by approx 1/3rd the thickness). The screws in yours look pretty coarse, maybe 1/2-20. I am pretty sure that the one I have is 1/4-28. Are your locking screws angled down? Mine enter the gib at an angle which forces the gib down and prevents it from coming out of the head before the blade is removed.

Sam Layton
11-04-2009, 12:56 AM
My screws don't appear to be angeled down. They look 90 deg to the cutter head opposite the gib. The cutter head next to the blade looks like it is angeled so the blade sits in the cutter head at an angle, and the gib sits next to the blade at an angle holding everything in place. So the screw enters the gib at an angle, but the gib is the one angeled.

Sam