PDA

View Full Version : Is this sawstop worth it?

mreza Salav
11-02-2009, 9:57 PM
Used sawstop is something I didn't expect to find (especially up here in Canada) but...

There is a guy who has a brand new industrial model (CB53230) without fence. Apparently has picked it up at at auction (form a tool retailer that went bust this summer here, named House of Tools). It's apparently a floor model. He was asking $2500 but I brought it down to $2000 (just the saw with no fence).
He doesn't seem well informed about the saw and says hasn't fired it up (since he doesn't have 220V), so even if I buy it it will be without being able to even test it which worries me.

Is it worth it? Given that I don't get any warranty I'm thinking stay away from it. How is sawstop with service (if something goes wrong)?

But that's almost half of a brand new one for an industrial model.
Any problem with that specific older model?

Joe Mioux
11-02-2009, 10:12 PM
a ICS for $2K?

yep!

Kevin Groenke
11-02-2009, 10:12 PM
40-50% off the going rate?? Yes, it's a great deal, get it if you want one. We have two of the first 50 SS's imported and there are no significant problems with them. No fence just means you can put on the one you really want.

SawStop has better service than 95% of the outfits I deal with.

-kg

Mike Heidrick
11-02-2009, 10:28 PM
If you did not act, and he posted it anywhere, it should be gone by now.

Michael Schwartz
11-02-2009, 10:32 PM
should be fine, 2k is literally stealing the saw, even as you describe. I paid quite a bit more than 2k for my fully loaded SS Contractor Saw. By the time you buy a fence/extension table you should still be under 3k.

You would basically be getting the industrial SawStop for the entry price for the PCS.

Don't worry about it being an older model. I would call Sawstop with the SN after the fact and see if there are any upgrades for the switch etc... It may still be under warrantee as well, and if you explain the situation to them they would probably help you out in that regard too.

mreza Salav
11-02-2009, 11:39 PM
I almost convinced myself to buy it before realizing this particular model is a 5HP 3ph. So it's not as attractive as I thought (have to spend almost $1k for new motor and a fence).

Kevin Groenke
11-03-2009, 9:09 AM
Still a deal,

I had 2) 5hp, 1ph SS motors replaced under warranty, I think they said replacement cost at the time was less than $300.

Joe Mioux
11-03-2009, 9:14 AM
I almost convinced myself to buy it before realizing this particular model is a 5HP 3ph. So it's not as attractive as I thought (have to spend almost $1k for new motor and a fence).

what about a VFD? a couple-few hundred bucks

george wilson
11-03-2009, 9:34 AM
IIRC,we bought a new 3 h.p. Sawstop without a fence for about $2500.00 for the tool shop before I retired. We had a Parallock fence on the old saw,and put it on the new Sawstop. The Parallock fence was the best fence ever made in my opinion.

At the time,Woodcraft was running a special.