PDA

View Full Version : Hinges for bathroom vanity doors

John Gregory
09-27-2004, 4:29 PM
I am constructing some cabinet doors to replace the old ones on a vanity. Due to existing conditions, I need to make the doors with a rabbeted lip around the inside of the door. I would like to use the European type hinges, but have only seen them for inset or overlay doors. Does anyone know of a European hinge style that can be used in this application?

Thank,
John

Jamie Buxton
09-27-2004, 5:30 PM
According to Blum's catalog, you can make their 170 degree hinge work for a 3/8 x 3/8 rabbetted lip. (Blum calls it a lipped door.) Look at the lower left corner of http://www.wwhardware.com/media/products/apcharts/blum170special.pdf

wwhardware is a good place to get blum hinges. On their site, go up a level or two from that URL and look around. There's lot of application information about how to choose and install euro hinges.

John Gregory
09-27-2004, 5:53 PM
Thanks Jamie, I will check that out.

John

Tom O'Donnell
09-27-2004, 7:21 PM
According to Blum's catalog, you can make their 170 degree hinge work for a 3/8 x 3/8 rabbetted lip. (Blum calls it a lipped door.) Look at the lower left corner of http://www.wwhardware.com/media/products/apcharts/blum170special.pdf

wwhardware is a good place to get blum hinges. On their site, go up a level or two from that URL and look around. There's lot of application information about how to choose and install euro hinges.
Thank you for that Jamie I had been in cabinetmaking for 15 years and I would have said that the concealed hinges could not be used As the saying goes you are not too old to learn (Now retired)
Tom

Charlie Plesums
09-27-2004, 10:20 PM
My search was for euro hinges that allowed a decorative edge on the door. I have used some Blum hinges, but were clearly not designed for that - I had to drill within 1/16 inch of the edge.

At the IWF show I asked Blum for a solution, and was told "I feel for you, but we aren't going to do anything about it.":mad:

The Salice hinge people said "I know exactly what you are looking for. We just invented a new hinge for those type applications, and it will be in our next catalog.":) I haven't seen the promised catalog or sample hinge:rolleyes: yet, but I am still hopeful, and after that much nicer reaction will be watching for good things from Salice.