PDA

View Full Version : Vintage bandsaws, modify for dust collection?

mark kosse
11-02-2009, 1:03 PM
I have 2 old bandsaws. A rockwell (without delta on it) that is pristine and a delta milaukee that works fine but was stored in a shed in Houston and looks awful. Both have that old curved leg fub frame that doesn't lend itself well to dust collection.

Anyone ever modified these saws for dust collection? If so, can you tell me how you did it?

Should I mess with the pristine one or just leave it alone. I know that is a loaded question but I kinda hate to disturb something that has made it this far with nobody screwing it up. On the other hand, dust collection is sure nice for me and the saw.

TIA, Mark

mark kosse
11-03-2009, 8:32 AM
No opinions at all?

harry strasil
11-03-2009, 8:57 AM
I use a piece of plastic sewer pipe with a 45 notch in the top and a slot for the blade fastened under the table and a 2.5 in shop vac hose to it. plug the end that is inside.

Kevin Groenke
11-03-2009, 9:05 AM
Our machines aren't as old as yours, but this might work.

#18 in this thread:
http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=71257

-kg

Josiah Bartlett
11-03-2009, 12:53 PM
I have a 1940's vintage Walker Turner 16" saw. The previous owner drilled the lower door for a dust collection fitting. It kind of works- at least it sucks up the dust that makes it into the lower wheel area. However, it sheds a lot of dust next to the bottom guides, which are out in the open. You could try building a shroud around the bottom of the table, but I wouldn't bother drilling a cast iron door for a dust collection fitting. It has hurt the beauty of the saw a bit.

Chip Lindley
11-03-2009, 4:35 PM
You can capture a great amount of sawdust below the BS table at the lower guides. Any shroud is better than none. A 4" DC hose will get almost everything! A shroud can be attached with a couple of screws in holes drilled and tapped, or even ducttaped or velcro'd to the saw somewhere. Dust collection of nice machines can be effective yet unevasive as possible.

Josiah Bartlett
11-03-2009, 4:46 PM
I imagine if you could rig up an air jet to blow across the saw teeth below the table and into a dust collection fitting you could pick up all the dust before it even hit the guides.

Bruce Wrenn
11-03-2009, 10:15 PM
I have 2 old bandsaws. A rockwell (without delta on it) that is pristine and a delta milaukee that works fine but was stored in a shed in Houston and looks awful. Both have that old curved leg fub frame that doesn't lend itself well to dust collection.

Anyone ever modified these saws for dust collection? If so, can you tell me how you did it?

Should I mess with the pristine one or just leave it alone. I know that is a loaded question but I kinda hate to disturb something that has made it this far with nobody screwing it up. On the other hand, dust collection is sure nice for me and the saw.

TIA, MarkMark, I designed a dust collector for my 14" Delta band saw. It requires no cutting of band saw, so value is not destroyed. Unfortunately (fortunately for me $$$) Wood Magazine owns the rights to it. Hopefully they will publish it soon.

george wilson
11-03-2009, 10:35 PM
I think the pictured dust collector is effective. I just hate to cut away the door on my vintage Delta 14" I jam a flexible piece of 4" ducting up under the table,but still don't get it all. The pictured dust chute gets down farther,and catches the rapidly moving chips better,I'm sure.

Myk Rian
11-04-2009, 7:17 AM
I made a DC connection to replace the 1 1/4" one on my Delta 14".
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showpost.php?p=1203956&postcount=2

mark kosse
11-04-2009, 8:47 AM
Thanks for all the replies! These give me a good place to start.

I was mostly asking (between the lines) whether I should cut into these old saws. I probably wouldn't have done it, even to the old rusty one. I hadn't even thought about just putting something external on.

Thanks again!

Josiah Bartlett
11-04-2009, 12:51 PM
Thanks for all the replies! These give me a good place to start.

I was mostly asking (between the lines) whether I should cut into these old saws. I probably wouldn't have done it, even to the old rusty one. I hadn't even thought about just putting something external on.

Thanks again!

If you really feel like you want to cut a hole in a door, get a spare door from a parts machine or make a plywood door, and save your good old one for when you want to restore the machine.