PDA

View Full Version : Simple foam door - this time with a window

Gabriel Bergeron
11-02-2009, 12:56 PM
I had posted this message in a previous thread I had started but I guess it went unnoticed since the project was done.

The first thread of the foam door is here (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=122858)
I hope it's OK to post a second part.

Essentially I made a simple insulated door for a shed outside. I took a foam board, made a wooden frame and veneered with some 1/8" wood.

Now this project has turned out so good that I'm thinking of doing the same thing for another door but this time I will raise the difficulty level:
How about putting in a window!! (double-glazed)

I'm just wondering what would be the best way to put a window in there. I've never worked with thermal windows before and I don't know if I could just glue it in there and be done with it.

Also I'm looking for a way to maximize the coverage of the foam core for better insulating efficiency. Could I simply glue the glass to a rabbeted opening in the foam? Would that be strong enough? (no need to be theft or bear proof for this one as well) Or you suggest to glue it to some wood frame?

Also are there anything I need to know or should do concerning the joint between the window and the core/frame to maximize the door insulating properties? Like some technique to ensure that the marriage between the glass and the foam/wood is as good as can be for the different climate changes.

Thanks!

Chris Padilla
11-05-2009, 4:48 PM
Gabe,

How about some pictures? Pictures...well...we love 'em on here! If you need help, just holler!