PDA

View Full Version : Project construction and wood advice.

Kevin Villas
09-27-2004, 3:21 PM
Hi everyone, been lurking here for a long time now and had a question about a project I would like to make.

I would like to build the clock pictured below, it was featured on Woodworks on DIY.. David Marks used veneer to make up the clock face, and me without a bandsaw/drumsander makes that a bit hard. I was wondering if there would be any problems using maybe 1/4 stock instead of the thin veneer and just gluing that to a backer of maybe 1/2 inch oak plywood.. (or something else I should use?)

Also wanted some opinions on the wood choices. He used wengae and quilted maple stock.. Pricey stuff, especially the maple from what I have seen. What would be a good replacement?

I was thinking maybe birdseye maple and curly black walnut? That sound like it would give the same effect and look nice?

Thanks for any help

Donnie Raines
09-27-2004, 3:27 PM
Welcome to the Creek!. Great people here....

1/4 inch material would be to thick to glue to a substraight. You need to accomdate for wood movement in that demension. You will need to mill the lumber down to at least an 1/8th (and this is pushing it in all honesty).

You can buy pre cut venner in the correct thickness to adhear them to a sub straight....and they are priced right too.

Any lumber you choose that contrast each other will look nice....some better then others. Cherry and walnut would look nice...cherry and maple....walnut and maple.....ie.......

Kevin Villas
09-27-2004, 3:37 PM
Thanks for the reply and information. I tried looking at some veneer places but it was all SUPER thing and I was worried about sanding through it since I am sure I will need to sand all those pieces just a little bit to make it nice and flat after glue up.

Can you suggest any sites to order some? Maybe that is a little thicker?

Thanks

Ellen Benkin
09-27-2004, 3:43 PM
You can get veneer at Rockler and Woodcraft (and maybe other places). It's better if you can go to a store and see what you are buying, but you can also get it online.

Donnie Raines
09-27-2004, 3:56 PM
Go to www.woodfinder.com and find the nearest dealer to you.

Also, if the veneer is applied correctly, you will not need to sand much. It is true though....it would be easy to sand through if you got carried away.

Kevin Villas
09-27-2004, 4:01 PM
I have not done much veneer and I would feel much better knowing I have a little play in saning to get everything nice and smooth. The ones I have seen online I would just be too afriad to get into the project and end up sanding through and having to start over.

Jerry Olexa
09-27-2004, 7:32 PM
Do you have a relative named Bob who occassionally appears on TV WW shows?Welcome aboard, Glad you're here...