PDA

View Full Version : Mig welders...SS & aluminum

Howard Barlow
03-26-2003, 12:10 AM
A while back, a couple of you commented on using your MIG's for stainless and aluminum. What gas are you using for stainless? Are you getting ok, good, or excellent results?

For aluminum, are you using the original setup, or do you have the al spool gun? What gas?

Thanks,
Howard

Allan Johanson
03-26-2003, 3:25 AM
Hello,

Gee - it's late, this is my first post here, and I really don't know what I'm talking about but yet I find myself posting this anyway. I must be sleep-typing. :-)

Seriously though, I took a short class on MIG welding before I bought my Miller 175 and the topic of stainless and aluminum came up.

For best results, stainless would require what's called a "Tri Mix" combo. It's 90% Helium, 7.5% Argon and 2.5% CO2. Using the typical 75/25 of Argon/CO2 can mess up the properties of stainless, depending on how you weld it.

I was told with my Miller at least, that aluminum required pure Argon gas (for under 1/8" thickness) and an Argon/Helium mixture for thicker pieces and you may be able to avoid spending the mega bucks on the spool gun if you kept the regular torch line as straight as possible to avoid a "bird's nest" inside the machine.

I hope this helps!

Allan

Howard Barlow
03-26-2003, 1:05 PM
Thanks, Allan.

Cam.Hedrick
03-26-2003, 8:18 PM
It is the best way to go when welding softer metals. Right on target with the gas requirements. Before you go into a big task, Practice Practice Practice. Only with a good bit of practice will you lay a nice weld on Aluminum and Stainless. It's fun to do though, almost as much fun as turning on the lathe.
Have fun:)