PDA

View Full Version : Pecan Walnut

Johnnyy Johnson
11-02-2009, 11:56 AM
I was at a hardwood store Sat. and on the way out I saw a small flat of Pecan Walnut. I was running behind and did not get to ask questions. I called back on the cell and the girl said it was PW. The pcs. were about 6"x6' kind of a light red rust color with close grain. Has anyone worked with this wood and how does it finish. I'm thinking tung oil and shellac. Anyone have pics of a project. I have searched alot but can find anything.

Thanks
Johnny

Paul Atkins
11-02-2009, 1:45 PM
That seems to me like saying you have an apple orange. I've used eastern walnut, English walnut, Claro walnut, butternut 'walnut' and pecan, which is like hickory. Not much help here I guess.

Bill Arnold
11-02-2009, 2:46 PM
I Googled and found a recipe for "Pecan Walnut Tart". Will that help? :confused::):confused:

Also found a "Pecan Walnut Desk". On further review, the description says it's a "pecan walnut finish" which probably means stained poplar.

I'm curious if there's really such a wood out there.

Now, I could go for one of those apple-orange trees! :eek:

Maurice Ungaro
11-02-2009, 2:49 PM
Pecan Walnut is usually hoisted with a sky hook. I knew a fellow that did a bent lamination with some - he used a bucket of anchor steam.

Joe Spear
11-02-2009, 2:49 PM
Walnuts and Pecans (a species of hickory) are in the same family (Juglandaceae} but different genuses. I have no idea if they are close enough to hybridize into something you could call pecan walnut. I doubt if the people at the hardware store do either.

Josiah Bartlett
11-02-2009, 6:07 PM
Maybe somebody came up with a way to market walnut sapwood?

Joe Spear
11-02-2009, 10:14 PM
Maybe they dye it with black walnut husks.