PDA

View Full Version : Just clocks, no poop

Michael Stafford
09-27-2004, 2:56 PM
Attached is a picture of the two clock/boxes that the bird did not poop on. One is mahogany with wenge and gold painted maple trim. The other has a small bit of birdseye maple on the lid, curly maple body and cherry trim. Which is which should be self evident. Both have lift off lids so your sweetie has a place for her sweets. I'm still working on poop removal on the other two which are identical to these. :(

Greg Heppeard
09-27-2004, 3:30 PM
Nice poop free boxes....how did you end up getting it off and the finish restored??

Tyler Howell
09-27-2004, 3:55 PM
Poop free is good. They were harsh critics, and don't know quality when they see it.:cool:

Kevin Gerstenecker
09-27-2004, 4:33 PM
Nice clocks Michael! Those are really sharp, and should make nice presents. Did you have plans for those, or is that your design? I have a couple of ladies in my life that would like something like that. Great idea with the removable top for storage too...................pretty stuff!
What are the dimensions of those, if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks for sharing the "poop free" versions! I am sure you will be able to get the others back in shape. (That was a very funny recap of events too.........I got a good chuckle out of that!) :D

Jim Becker
09-27-2004, 10:20 PM
Poop-free is a relative thing in our house with our two birds...but those boxes are very nice regardless of the "extra finishing details" that might appear out of thin air!

Jack Hogoboom
09-27-2004, 10:22 PM
Mike,

Beautiful boxes. I like the nice crisp mitered corners. Can you give us some details on the construction?

Jack

Jim Ketron
09-27-2004, 10:49 PM
Nice Job!!
Nice choice of woods they complement each other!
Jim

Dick Parr
09-27-2004, 11:09 PM
Very Beautiful.

Michael Stafford
09-28-2004, 8:00 AM
Both of these clocks lend themselves to mass production although the mahogany clock is more tedious.

The mahogany clock begins by ripping the mahogany to correct width, !/8" dadoes are machined at the top and bottom and serve to locate the painted trim. Then strips of wenge are glued on. This is followed by molded mahogany strips. Once all is dry the front/back/sides are cut to length/width on the miter sled. Clamp and glue together. Oops almost forgot, a rabbet is cut in the bottom for a plywood piece. Use a nice figured mahogany scrap for the lid, rabbet it to fit in the carcass. It is trimmed with wenge also. Finish the clock. Paint 1/8" trim gold, miter to fit in grooves, glue. Fini!

The maple is much easier. Rabbet bottom for bottom, miter on the sled, glue and clamp. Top starts with small piece of birdseye maple rabbeted to fit in groove in first layer of trim which is maple. The maple trim is mitered, fitted to the birdseye and glued and clamped. Once dry and sanded flush a 3/8" cove is cut as pictured. On the bottom a 3/8" by 1/16" rabbet is cut to locate the cherry trim. Cherry is mitered and glued and clamped. Once dry a 3/8" cove is cut on the bottom. The trim on the bottom is cherry with a 1/16" groove and a 3/8" cove at the top, mitered to fit and glued on. Last step is rabbet the top of the carcass so lid will fit snugly on. Obviously I am a little out of sequence as the carcass rabbet has to be cut before the bottom trim is applied.

Both clocks use 3 1/2"(3" hole) clock mechanisms. These are cut into whichever side you like best after you miter the sides.

I hope that is not too confusing. Not the best technical writer. BTW both are available from plans, mahogany clock was in American Woodworker July 2004; the maple clock was in Woodsmith Issue 144.

Hope that helps.

Jason Tuinstra
09-28-2004, 11:23 AM
Michael, they both look very nice. I want to say I like the curly/birdseye maple one better, but then I look at the mahogany and wenge one, and it has much to attract me to it as well. To settle this conundrum, feel free to send them both to me :D :p Seriously, nice job!

Steve Clardy
09-28-2004, 12:02 PM
Nice!!!!!!;)

Steve