PDA

View Full Version : A tip for improving dust collection on your random orbital sander

Jason Hatlelid
11-02-2009, 2:16 AM
I've had a Porter Cable model 333 random orbit sander for years (a 5 hole pattern type) and I really can't believe I never realized this almost essential tip until just recently...

You can hookup a 1-1/4" hose from a shop vac to the dust collection port and it will vastly improve the dust collection capability. In fact, you will basically have zero dust from that point on. It all gets sucked up through those holes in the sanding pad I always thought were a joke.

I really cannot believe I never thought of doing this before. What's ironic is that I also have the Porter Cable 557 biscuit joiner and since day one I've always hooked that same shop vac hose to that thing, rather than using the flimsy bag. I realized that was necessary almost immediately with that tool, but for some reason I never thought to improve the stupid cylinder-with-a-plastic-flap collector on the sander.

I'm sure this is probably obvious to lots of people, but I figured I'd share it anyway because it was one of those "duh" moments for me.

PS. Another tip: I picked up one of these devices (http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2005855/18215/I-Socket-Vacuum-Automator.aspx) that you plug both the shopvac and a tool into that automatically turns on the shopvac when you turn on the tool...so nice...they just don't have cool things like that at Home Depot.

Erik Stol
11-02-2009, 7:14 AM
Hi Jason,

I do have already for about 8 years a wet&dry shopvac from Hitachi/. This particular model, the WDE 1200, has an automat on it. Simply plug in your skil saw, sander, etc. and ther you go. No or hardly any dust at all.

Phil Phelps
11-02-2009, 7:57 AM
For over a dozen years, I have used the Porter Cable Tool Triggered shop vac. It has a great filter system that is essential when sanding joint compound. For me, a shop vac is an ordinary vacuum unless you use a bag in the canister. It really does a better job when you have a bag and a filter.

Michael Heffernan
11-02-2009, 8:16 AM
+1 on the bag in the shop vac. I have a Ridgid vacuum and always use a bag in the canister. Double it with a HEPA pleated filter in the vac and it will trap everything.

Craig McDaniel
11-02-2009, 3:28 PM
To take it to the next level, run your shop vac through a cyclone (I use the Thein design on a 5 gallon bucket)...lets you sand for a long, long time without clogging the filter...

Prashun Patel
11-02-2009, 3:32 PM
Or you can run it through a mini cyclone or dust deputy.

Bill Arnold
11-02-2009, 3:55 PM
Yep, I've had a long 1-1/4" hose on my 334 for years. With a 2.5" adaptor, I can attach it to my shop vac or a 2.5" port on my cyclone DC. I also have one of those automatic switches but haven't found it after our move, yet! :rolleyes:

Incidentally, I changed the pad on my 334 to a unit that will accept either 5-hole or 8-hole paper. I also have a Makita BO5010 that uses 8-hole paper, thus the change on the PC.

Chris Tsutsui
11-02-2009, 4:58 PM
Great find!

Ever since I got my new shop vac, I now use my Porter Cable 333 orbital sander with a Festool CT33 that has the auto-turn on function built in. The rubber end of the Festool vacuum fits perfectly snug inside the Porter Cable 333 sander once you take off that hard plastic porous filter canister.

I never used the PC 333 with my Ridgid shop vac because the ridgid is just too loud and the hose is large and the end is too big. The festool operates really quiet on lower speeds and has a nice sized hoze and auto-turn on featre.

Anyways.... when I had to shop for a small electric sheet sander... I chose the sheet sander that would fit the CT33. The Bosch sander that was on sale did NOT fit since it has a proprietory oval shaped dust outlet. However, the porter cable brand sheet sander, sure enough has a standard shop vac size attachment that will work with most shop vacs (including festool)

The air flow of the shop vac makes the sand paper operate "cool" and clog free. Powered dust collection on the sanders improve their performance at least 3 fold!

Rick Metcalf
11-03-2009, 6:04 PM
If you want it to work even better, get the dust deputy. Sanded floors in two rooms of my house. Used my 6" ROS for the edges. Hooked the commercial sander and my ROS thru my shop vac and never had to empty the vac or clean the filter. 100% of the fines removed by the dust deputy and no dust in the house! Works better than expected for sanding.

phil harold
11-03-2009, 8:08 PM
For over a dozen years, I have used the Porter Cable Tool Triggered shop vac. It has a great filter system that is essential when sanding joint compound. For me, a shop vac is an ordinary vacuum unless you use a bag in the canister. It really does a better job when you have a bag and a filter.

I have this too

20 years ago I bought two of these and still use them
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00924031000P

cant beat them for 20 bucks

Alan Schaffter
11-04-2009, 1:18 AM
I use air powered sanders but pick up the dust with a central vac system made with a shop vac and a mini cyclone. I also have the vac connected to the blade guard of my miter saw:

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/1404/medium/PB050004.JPG

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/1404/medium/PB0500161.JPG

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/1404/medium/PB050006.JPG