PDA

View Full Version : half set of hollows and rounds

Matt Bickford
11-02-2009, 1:27 AM
There has been a lot of talk here about people making their own hand planes recently. I thought that I'd post something a little bit different but still on topic. I just finished a half set of hollows and rounds. It is the second half set that I made.

There are 18 total planes--9 pairs that are graduated from 1/4" diameter up to a 3" diameter.

Brian Sullivan
11-02-2009, 1:41 AM
Very very nice! I've been considering this myself. So far I've made a Krenov style smoother, and I've seen Clark & Williams video. If you don't mind, I have a few questions - How many hours do you think you spent on these? How did you taper your irons? What wood did you use for you planes? Thanks/ Brian

Jim Koepke
11-02-2009, 2:08 AM
That ain't different, that's the gold standard.

Nice work.

I am with Brian, tell us more...

jim

David Gendron
11-02-2009, 2:11 AM
Yes, more, more... Please!

Brian Ashton
11-02-2009, 4:10 AM
Hopefully you've been taking pictures of the whole process and then can do a write up... Nice work by the way.

george wilson
11-02-2009, 7:40 AM
I see they are 18th.C. pattern planes. Looks like a nice job!

Robert Rozaieski
11-02-2009, 8:15 AM
Excellent Matt!

Jim Galvin
11-02-2009, 8:47 AM
Matt

Did you use quartersawn beech? If so where did you find it.

Nice work, I've been wanting to do the same but have been unable to locate a wood source.

Jim

Matt Bickford
11-02-2009, 8:56 AM
I don't know how many hours it took me. I could probably make a pair in 4-5 hours. The process goes quickly once you've done a few. (I was making 36 planes for the first 50% and that was not a quick process.) I won't be challenging Clark & Williams.

The iron blanks were purchased from Lie-Nielsen. The planes are made out of cherry. The most time consuming part is bedding the iron. My lowest success rate came with stamping the toes. (the stamp was purchased from Mazzaglia Tools.)

It was a lot quicker making these with another set of planes vs. from scratch.

I won't be posting a tutorial because it would just be copying the dvd.

Matt Bickford
11-02-2009, 8:58 AM
I bought 16/4 flat sawn cherry and resawed it to get it quartersawn. I think that Clark & Williams may sell blanks of quartersawn beech. Send them an email, the site hasn't been updated recently.

Brian Kent
11-02-2009, 12:28 PM
Which DVD?

Matt Bickford
11-02-2009, 12:31 PM
Making Traditional Side Escapement Planes (http://www.lie-nielsen.com/catalog.php?grp=1320) by Larry Williams

Mark Maleski
11-02-2009, 3:10 PM
Oh, very cool. Much envy from here. Congrats!

David Gendron
11-02-2009, 4:48 PM
Tahnk you for all the infos. how is the cherry holding up with use?

Brian Ashton
11-02-2009, 9:49 PM
Making Traditional Side Escapement Planes (http://www.lie-nielsen.com/catalog.php?grp=1320) by Larry Williams

Just curious. When the write up says so and so teaches the traditional methods of making the hollows and rounds... Does that mean he makes them without using power tools?

Matt Bickford
11-03-2009, 12:39 AM
He probably cut the initial blanks on a table saw and profiled the wedge on a bandsaw.

He doesn't use a hand cranked grinder. He didn't chop the mortise, shape the sole or add the chamfers with a router. It was all done by hand.

Brian Ashton
11-03-2009, 5:54 AM
Sounds like an interesting video then

Lloyd Parker
11-03-2009, 6:39 AM
Yes I would also like to know how the cherry is holding up. Seems to be a softer wood than beech.

mike holden
11-03-2009, 7:51 AM
Brian,
In the video Larry Williams makes the plane starting from a blank piece of wood with only handtools. The blade requires a grinder and some peanut oil and MAPP torch - dont know if you consider those handtools or not.
Mike
PS MAPP torch looks like the propane torches you get at the BORG for soldering plumbing, difference is the fuel - MAPP (dont know what it stands for, but it is hotter than propane) MAPP torches will be at the BORG alongside the propane ones, similar prices. mh

Robert Rozaieski
11-03-2009, 8:28 AM
MAPP (dont know what it stands for, but it is hotter than propane)

methylacetylene-propadiene

Dave Anderson NH
11-03-2009, 9:55 AM
Truly outstanding work Matt. Maybe some day I'll get to put my floats to better use than they get right now.

Bob Easton
11-03-2009, 10:07 AM
... In the video Larry Williams makes the plane starting from a blank piece of wood with only handtools. ...

Beautiful work Matt, quite an accomplishment!

So, since the profiles are made by hand, does that mean you need a set of hollows and rounds to make new rounds and hollows? Guess I need to see the video.

Raney Nelson
11-03-2009, 11:46 AM
Brian,
In the video Larry Williams makes the plane starting from a blank piece of wood with only handtools. The blade requires a grinder and some peanut oil and MAPP torch - dont know if you consider those handtools or not.
Mike

Are you sure the video shows MAPP? I ask because I have found propane to be easier to get good results with. those MAPP torches have all their heat condensed to that one little tip of blue flame, and it's really easy to get temp differentials with it. If you can set up a small fireblock screen, propane works quite well, and I've had much better luck with consistent heat treating... I could be wrong, but I think Larry Williams was the one who first mentioned that out to me.

Matt Bickford
11-03-2009, 1:39 PM
Truth be told, I haven't used the planes enough to comment on long term issues with cherry vs. beech. I may never. I've had no problems with the limited amount of use they've seen.

The species was recommended as a viable option to beech. I have more access to it, that's why it was used.

Matt Bickford
11-03-2009, 5:43 PM
So, since the profiles are made by hand, does that mean you need a set of hollows and rounds to make new rounds and hollows? Guess I need to see the video.

You do not need a set to make a set. The first set that I made were done without others. It does take additional steps without them, however.

Basically, you first need to make the round (convex) with a bench plane. This leaves a faceted surface. You can get rid of the facets by draping a piece of sandpaper over the plane and lightly sanding. It doesn't need to be perfect at this point. Complete the round's iron and then use it to make the hollow's sole. I then touched up the round with the hollow.

Charles Bender
11-03-2009, 8:15 PM
Matt,

They sure are nice planes. Lucky guy that gets to use them. :)

See ya,

Chuck

Larry Williams
11-03-2009, 10:30 PM
Are you sure the video shows MAPP? I ask because I have found propane to be easier to get good results with. those MAPP torches have all their heat condensed to that one little tip of blue flame, and it's really easy to get temp differentials with it. If you can set up a small fireblock screen, propane works quite well, and I've had much better luck with consistent heat treating... I could be wrong, but I think Larry Williams was the one who first mentioned that out to me.

There is no MAPP torch used in the video. I believe I probably specifically suggested avoiding MAPP torches but I've never watched the video. They have a high temperature pencil-point flame that's about guaranteed to pit the steel where the flame will have to be concentrated to avoid overheating at the edge. Use a large propane torch, not one of the small units designed to work off small hand-held bottles. I'm sure there are similar single-gas acetylene units but I don't have much experience with them.

BTW, it's obvious from the photos that Matt has done a good job on these planes.

Andrew Homan
11-04-2009, 7:40 AM
At this point my oohs and aahs are superfluous, but I'll add them anyhow. That is a gorgeous set of planes -- I wish that I had time for a project like this! Outstanding work, Matt!
-Andy

David Turner
11-04-2009, 12:58 PM
Just exactly what does "half set" mean? Are the other sizes between each set of planes? Does that mean a full set would be 36 or 18 rounds and 18 hollows?

By the way, I have the Todd Herle video for making hollows and rounds and although I have not seen the William's video, Mr Herle does a fine job. He does use a MAPP torch and a propane torch to heat his irons.

David Turner
Plymouth, MI.

Matt Bickford
11-04-2009, 8:41 PM
Just exactly what does "half set" mean? Are the other sizes between each set of planes? Does that mean a full set would be 36 or 18 rounds and 18 hollows?

David Turner
Plymouth, MI.

A full set consists of another 9 pairs with diameters staggered between what you see. These planes are 2/8" dia, 4/8", 6/8" 8/8"... while the other portion of the full set would be 1/8" dia, 3/8, 5/8", 7/8...

I have no idea what the popularity of these odd numbered planes were. I really don't recall seeing any on ebay at any point.