PDA

View Full Version : Just Plane Confused...

Jim Koepke
11-02-2009, 1:07 AM
Now that my knowledge of #60 & #60-1/2 low angle block planes has been fortified, it is my intention to buy one more of these from the earlier years just to see if it is noticeably better.

So of course, watching and bidding on eBay. Have not yet snagged one, but I am wondering about this pair of auctions:

Auction 130339935204 looks like a nice early #60 all the parts. I even put in a bid but it closed at $38.76, more than I want to pay. Patience will eventually win.

Then there is auction 280414995371. No cap or blade, the mouth adjusting harp appears to be gone. It closed at $42.77. When this had one bid at $6 and change plus shipping, I passed because it seemed a bit high.

I moved out to the hills and became a hermit because I thought it was getting a little crazy around "the big city" (San Francisco). Does this mean the rest of the world is also a bit on the crazy side? Or is it a case of people willing to pay more for an individual part than they will for the whole deal if they will end up with spare parts?

As Henslo often said, "It's a mystery."

jim

Martin Cash
11-02-2009, 3:00 AM
Gotta agree with Henslo!

There, Shakespeare, on whose forehead climb The crowns o' the world. Oh, eyes sublime With tears and laughter for all time.