PDA

View Full Version : Starting Problem w/ G0586 Jointer

Tracy Purifoy
11-02-2009, 12:06 AM
I'm not much of a woodworker...and even less of an electrician. In August '05, I received and set up my 2hp, 220v, G0586 jointer. In August '06, I jointed about 20bf of red oak. Worked beautifully with beatiful results! In Summer of '07 I was jointing a pine 2x4. Half way through the cut, the 30amp breaker tripped!..and tripped everytime thereafter when the 'stop' button was released, but before pushing the 'on' button. I had a team of (3) professional electricians check the motor...capacitor was fine, but couldn't get juice through the windings. I had the motor rewound. Installed the motor tonight...and now the motor either just cranks up upon plugging in the jointer or can be jogged to a start by bumping the stop button....but it will not start by pushing the start button! It's as if power is bypassing the magnetic switch. I'm stumped! Any ideas guys? Thanks.

Rod Sheridan
11-02-2009, 8:32 AM
Check to see if the contactor is jammed, or welded closed on one pole.

Regards, Rod.

Tracy Purifoy
11-03-2009, 9:58 PM
Rod, you nailed it!...welded closed on one pole. Apparently when the motor windings shorted, the switch fused closed.

Me being slow to unpack and assemble, I've now got a four year old jointer with 45 minutes of runtime. Now that I've had the motor rewound, all I need now is a $55+shipping magnetic starter. Maybe I'll get 60 minutes this time!:)

BTW, Grizzly does not sell the actual replacement magnetic starter assembly for this jointer. The replacement offered has buttons on the box which require a little extra rewiring to utilize the jointers existing elevated start/stop box. Well, I'm off to cobble this thing back together!
Thanks.