PDA

View Full Version : Front Vise Mounting Questions

Sean Nagle
11-01-2009, 11:00 PM
I have two questions on mounting the Lee Valley Tools front vise to my under-construction workbench.

(1) What is the ideal workbench top thickness under which to mount this type of vise? My dog hole skirt is currently 4-1/4" thick. I can build up the top or route a cavity as needed.

(2) My particular vise has guide rod collets. Where should these be mounted. If anyone can post pictures of their mounts, that would help considerably.

Thanks.

glenn bradley
11-02-2009, 12:36 AM
I have a couple of those but have not gotten around to swapping my current vises yet. Mine came with instructions and although my top is 3" thick it seems to be very doable. I have already glued up some bulky faces for them as I will need some good strength over the distance from jaw top to guide rod with a top that thick. I notice the instructions are offered online, here. (http://www.leevalley.com/shopping/Instructions.aspx?p=44580)

HTH and I can't believe 21 people looked at this and not one provided a comment(???)

Zach England
11-02-2009, 8:27 AM
I have the same vise and I mounted mine as the instructions link indicate, except that I put the collets into the bench face, then put the rear jaw ocer top of them. When I got mine from lee valley it had a template for drilling. Don't lose that. Trust me. It is easier if you don't lose that. :)