PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly Planer and Jointer

jack darcy
11-01-2009, 10:11 PM
I am looking at 2 grizzly machines. The first tool I am looking at is the G0586 8 inch jointer. I have heard good things about this tool and seen some reviews here. The next tool I am looking at is the G0453 15 inch thickness planer. Does anyone have any experience with these tools? I also will buy a dust collector but may delay that purchase for a month or so. How bad would it be to run the planer off a shop vac for a month or so? I have heard great things about Grizzly and used a couple of there machines in my junior high woodshop (I am just starting high-school now). I have seen Shiraz Balolia's posts on this forum and find his way of running his business impressive.
Thanks for your input.

Stephen Reid
11-01-2009, 10:39 PM
I can't give you any opinion on these machines, but I can tell you from personal experience that a shop vac won't handle the amount of chips produced by a jointer or planer.It simply won't take them away fast enough and will plug up steady.You'll spend more time clearing clogs then you would sweeping the chips off the floor.

Derek Gilmer
11-01-2009, 10:53 PM
I can't give you any opinion on these machines, but I can tell you from personal experience that a shop vac won't handle the amount of chips produced by a jointer or planer.It simply won't take them away fast enough and will plug up steady.You'll spend more time clearing clogs then you would sweeping the chips off the floor.
+1 to this, my shop vac can't handle the 735 I just picked up. So it is time to pick up an HF 2hp dust collector :)

Pat Germain
11-01-2009, 11:23 PM
I agree with Derek. If you have a limited budget and need a dust collector, which you do, pick up the Harbor Freight machine. You have to be careful when buying from Harbor Freight. Much of their stuff is junk, but there are a few gems. Based on everything I've heard and read, the dust collector is one of the gems. (Not top quality, mind you, just a decent machine for a very good price.)

I have a Shop Fox 8" jointer. It's a Grizzly with different paint. I'm very happy with it. It's a solid machine. It requires 220V power, so be sure you have the juice ready for it. I can't imagine even a large shop vac handling the chips my jointer throws out.

I currently use a Delta lunchbox planer and have no experience with a larger planer. But I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Grizzly planer. I also have a Grizzly 17" band saw and it too is a great machine.

If you do order a Grizzly machine, I would recommend ponying up a few extra dollars for the gatelift service. With this service, the driver will roll your machine onto your driveway or even into your shop. Without it, he might help you, but might not. Technically, it's up to you to get the machine off the truck unless you opt for the gatelift service.

Stephen Edwards
11-01-2009, 11:42 PM
+1 for the HF 2HP DC unit. If your budget is tight and you can't afford all three; planer, jointer and DC at once, you CAN get by for a while without the DC. It's not ideal but I wouldn't let it keep me from getting started! Then, get your DC as soon as you can afford it.

Welcome to the Creek!

Josh Reet
11-01-2009, 11:55 PM
It should be mentioned that wood magazine has a coupon for the HF DC in the current and previous month's issue. Price with the coupon is $140 which I am pretty sure is cheaper than any sale -20% coupon price that I have seen.

Rick Moyer
11-01-2009, 11:59 PM
I have the 0586 jointer. Have not used another jointer so can't compare, but it has done a good job for me.

jack darcy
11-02-2009, 12:08 AM
I have the 0586 jointer. Have not used another jointer so can't compare, but it has done a good job for me.

Do you have pictures of it?

Tracy Purifoy
11-02-2009, 12:26 AM
I've got the G0586 jointer and the same planer in the Yorkcraft version (same animal with different paint and stickers). As for the jointer, it was a breeze to set up and, for what very little jointing I've done, I was very pleased. That being said, for what very little jointing I've done, it appears my motor windings fried, resulting in a switch problem. But being so slow to get things done, heck, it was a year before I even used the thing...so no warranty. I just posted a question on that one hoping for some insight. As for the planer, the same 20bf of red oak that I ran through my jointer, is the same that went through my planer. All without a DC...and it showed. Those chips will clog up the works. The only problem with the planer was a less than gracefull release of the foot lever that dropped the planer into position and broke off one of the little feet that was tack welded on. Now I've got a wobble and have to tip the sucker over and get to weldin'!

glenn bradley
11-02-2009, 12:30 AM
I used a G0593 which is the same jointer as the G0586, but with a spiral head. I was after a certain set of features and so ended up with the G0490X but the G0593 seemed a very capable machine.

Myk Rian
11-02-2009, 9:32 AM
Might want to look at the trash can separator also.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=98023
It's a lot easier emptying a trash can than it is a DC.
Jointers and planers make a huge mess.