PDA

View Full Version : piping shop

Mike Stanton
09-27-2004, 1:27 PM
:cool: I am going to pipe the shop for air and dust collection. What size pipe would use for air/!/2 or 3/4 copper. I built a small addition 12x4 for air compressor and dust collector to get noise out of shop. I built the addition for no money all free stuff. Mike :D

Dean Baumgartner
09-27-2004, 1:39 PM
Mike,
Since there is very little cost difference in materials I would make the main runs in 3/4". You could reduce to 1/2" for the drops but again since there isn't much difference in cost or difficulty why not do the whole thing in 3/4".

Make sure your take offs are from the top of the line and that you have dirt legs with the use points and low point drains.

Some type of non-oiling filter/water trap is a good idea too.

Here's a picture of a part of my system...

Dean

Larry Browning
09-27-2004, 1:42 PM
Mike,
The answer for the air lines depends on how much air you are planning on using. If your needs are pretty much for a one man hobby shop like mine the 1/2 inch copper is just fine. I have even heard of shops that used 1/4 pipe. If you have a multiperson shop that uses lots of air it would be best to go wit 3/4 or even 1". But if you have that sitiuation I would get help for m the pros to design the thing. My bet is that you are in the 1st situation. Be sure to use copper and not pvc. There are several older posts about compressed air line systems. You should do a search for "air lines" or "compressed air" or something similar. There is a wealth of information on the subject.

Larry

Chris Padilla
09-27-2004, 5:26 PM
Mike,

I would use 1/2" for the non-pro shop. What size are the fittings on the air-compressor? That might give you a hit wear to start.

For air-compressors, plumb the lines like you would a drain/vent for a sink more or less. Water WILL collect in the lines and you will want to control where it goes. I would put a 1/4" per foot or 1/8" per foot slope to a decent collection spot where you'll want to put a valve to drain the water.

Dean is dead-on, always put your tees for connection on the "dry-side" of the pipe...never a low spot where water can collect.

I think if you plumb the lines with water drainage in mind, you will be in good shape.

Jim Ketron
09-27-2004, 8:42 PM
1/2 or 3/4 pipe will be fine and there is not much diff in the size of them.1/2 would work just fine
Use type L or K pipe Type M is too thin IMO
Jim

Jim Becker
09-27-2004, 10:02 PM
This is the "next frontier" for my own shop. I was pretty impressed with Bill Grumbine's installation. He used larger diameter pipe for a little extra air capacity in the system. I suspect I'll end up with 1/2" for my system just because it's easy and I have a bunch of fittings in the "plumbing box" that I can use up for the project. Fine Woodworking had an excellent article a year or two ago on piping in air systems...I don't recall what issue and I'm traveling with no access to my collection.