PDA

View Full Version : Nova bowl tool rest

Don Meyer
11-01-2009, 8:04 PM
I was looking at Woodcraft's web site and saw that they carry a curved bowl toolrest from Nova. Are there any users out there that can shed some light on this rest? Is it worth the cost or is there something better out there?

Alan Trout
11-01-2009, 8:42 PM
I have one. It is a big heavy rest that works well. It is a cast rest some some prep work may need to be made such as filling or sanding the edge but other than that it is OK. It is really meant for the outside more than the inside of the bowl. In reality it is pretty inexpensive compared to some other bowl rest.

Alan

Steve Schlumpf
11-01-2009, 8:56 PM
I have the large 'S' tool rest and use it exclusively for hollowing as it gives me a great place to rest my left hand while guiding the hollowing system.

Mike Minto
11-02-2009, 10:00 AM
had one, didn't like it. never did fit in the banjo well, had other probs only partly fixed by tekna support. mike

Ken Fitzgerald
11-02-2009, 10:44 AM
Don,

There are others out there that work well.

I have a Sorby modular rest system, that I like really well. I initially bought it for my Jet VS Mini and when I upgraded to a PM3520B I spent $18 IIRC for a larger post and everything else then worked on the larger lathe. For the Sorby you can get "S" type tools rest..one made for internal and one made for external use. You can also get different lengths of straight tool rests and one made for use inside boxes.