PDA

View Full Version : New to turning, need a little advice

Jason Davis
11-01-2009, 7:01 PM
I have a question on sharpening the turning tools and what is best to do it with.
I have a 6 inch bench grinder but have never sharpened these types of tools before to understand how to get it right on a bench grinder without eating the tool up.
I was looking at buying the "ws 3000" by "work sharp" but have no idea if it works as good as they make it seem.

I also am just starting to turn, like I have just turned one spindle, not very well I might add, so I am not ready to spend the cash to buy a tormek or similar setup.

Any input is appreciated!

Also, should the tools at the tip "cut your finger sharp" like a razor blade when sharpened?

alex carey
11-01-2009, 7:18 PM
the ws3000 doesn't work that well, a 6" will do but an 8" is really where you want to be.

I'd look up some videos on youtube and learn how to sharpen there, or talk to someone in person and let them show you. I never though describing sharpening in writing was ever that easy to understand. I definitely think the wolverine jig is a must for most people, by now I personally do it all free hand but starting off I didn't. You will at least need a tool rest.

The only time I get my tools sharp enough to cut my finger is when I am doing the finishing cuts. Otherwise I just touch it up at the grinder when it feels dull.

Kenneth Whiting
11-01-2009, 7:28 PM
I found this video very helpful.
http://www.woodworkingonline.com/200...h-sharp-tools/

Bernie Weishapl
11-01-2009, 10:10 PM
Woodcraft slow speed 8" grinder and the wolverine jig. That is what most get and it will give you repeatable results.

Steve Schlumpf
11-01-2009, 11:34 PM
Jason - Welcome to the Creek! Looking forward to seeing some of your turnings real soon!

I started out using my existing 6" high speed grinder when I first started. Then moved up to the Woodcraft 8" slow speed and the Wolverine system and it made the whole sharpening thing so much easier.

You can get by with a 6" grinder with no problem but I would recommend the Wolverine or similar system so you can get quick and repeatable results.

Harvey M. Taylor
11-02-2009, 5:22 AM
Kenneth, there is nothing there at that site. Max

Tim Boger
11-02-2009, 7:25 AM
Look a bit down the page the link sends you to ... it's there.

Tim

John McCaskill
11-02-2009, 10:18 AM
Kenneth, there is nothing there at that site. Max
You are right.. try this one instead:
http://www.woodworkingonline.com/2008/09/23/podcast-37-turning-tools-sharpen-your-skills-with-sharp-tools/

John

Wally Dickerman
11-02-2009, 12:07 PM
You are right.. try this one instead:
http://www.woodworkingonline.com/2008/09/23/podcast-37-turning-tools-sharpen-your-skills-with-sharp-tools/

John

Wow...That guy drove me nuts just listening to him. I've been teaching turning and sharpening for a lot of years and I can tell you that my students would be glassy-eyed listening to that much talking before actually sharpening. I learned a long time ago that when demoing or teaching, the people want some action along with the speeches.

He was demostrating using un-guarded wheels, which is unsafe and sends a poor message. He recommends a 6 inch, slow speed grinder. I've used one and the surface speed is way too slow. 8 inch slow speed is fine. He was demonstrating truing up the wheel without using a tool rest. Not good.

I didn't watch until the end because he hadn't even started sharpening after about 10 minutes of redundant talking. He still hadn't picked up a tool to sharpen.

Can you tell that I didn't like the demo?

Wally

David Walser
11-02-2009, 1:47 PM
The American Association of Woodturners ("AAW") has an excellent video on how to sharpen turning tools. [Fundamentals of Sharpening, B. Klein, J. Jordan, B. Johnston & A. Lacer (90 min VHS)] On the video, four experienced turners take turns showing you how they sharpen turning tools. The first thing you'll notice is each of them takes a slightly different approach. Learn from this that there's no single right way to sharpen!

Here's a link to AAW's instructional video page: http://www.woodturner.org/shop/ShopItemPopUp.asp?PID=108

AAW members get a $10 discount. That discount, plus the journal that comes with membership, might make an AAW membership worthwhile.

Good luck!

Bill Arnold
11-02-2009, 2:53 PM
I can't call myself a turner yet but I've practiced quite a bit and realized I needed to learn how to sharpen my tools better and get a good system. I caught the Delta variable-speed 8" grinder on sale and then bought the Wolverine system as recommended by many on various Forums. The accompanying DVDs are nicely done also.

Edit: Here's the path to some videos on the Wolverine system: http://www.oneway.ca/multi-media/wolverine_videos.htm

David E Keller
11-02-2009, 3:44 PM
Agree with the Woodcraft slow speed 8" grinder. I have the wolverine jig as well but don't think if it as a necessity except for bowl gouges using the varigrind attachment. Roughing and spindle gouges as well as scrapers can be sharpened with the tool rest pretty easily... That being said, since I have the wolverine, I use it for everything.

Keith Spaniel
11-02-2009, 9:52 PM
Jason, welcome,
I know my tools are sharp when I run the tip over the flat of my fingernail
and it take off a little fingernail dust.
If your going to turn then you have to sharpen. Go for it, try useing that 6'' I havent heard of many people grinding their tools away,they probably just sit in the box cause they cant sharpen them.. You could try this. if you have a piece of plywood 2' x12" or how ever wide your grinder is ,mount the grinder on one end and make a V to put the handle in . When you lay the tool tip on the grinder the handle will need to be supported thats what the little V thing you made is for . When the angle looks right screw down the v or whatever you have to keep the handle from sliding away and that you will be able to turn the handle while sharpening. Its best that your stone be flat across. Also before you sharpen put some black marker on the tool tip to see where you hit it with the grinder.If you start the grinder and then shut it off,while it is slowing down try to sharpen it ,just to see if you need to redirect you angle v or handle stop. You can get your gouge this way. your scraper.your skew and parting tools. The spindle gouge maybe need a different grind. give it try. Keith