PDA

View Full Version : Vases without a lathe - Who makes this thing?

Glen Blanchard
11-01-2009, 3:25 PM
There is a device made that allows one to create items that resemble those normally made on a lathe (vases, etc) without the need for a lathe. I am trying to find out who makes it and what it is called. For some reason I am thinking "Shopsmith", but I don't believe that is correct.

Anyone know?

David DeCristoforo
11-01-2009, 3:36 PM
http://www.ringmastertool.com/PAGES/RINGMAST.HTM

Not cheap!

Ryan Baker
11-01-2009, 3:38 PM
A Shopsmith would work, but that is just functioning as a lathe.

Perhaps you are thinking of something like a Legacy Ornamental Mill from Legacy Woodworking?

Ryan Baker
11-01-2009, 3:43 PM
Just looked at David's Ring Master link. Seems like you would still need to finish turn it after assembling the rings. Are you supposed to just sand it smooth or something? It would be cheaper to just get a small lathe.

Glen Blanchard
11-01-2009, 3:55 PM
Thanks David. That's it. I have seen some pretty remarkable work done with this thing.

David DeCristoforo
11-01-2009, 4:19 PM
"Are you supposed to just sand it smooth or something?"

That's the idea.

"It would be cheaper to just get a small lathe."

Yes you could. But then you have to buy the turning tools and there could be a very slight "learning curve"...

The Ringmaster is one of those things that has something of a "cult" status and aficionados tend to be as unswervingly devoted as those who favor the Shopsmith

Jim Kountz
11-01-2009, 4:20 PM
Hmm would maybe be a bit more interested if it fit larger lathes like the Jet1642EVS.

Jim Finn
11-01-2009, 8:46 PM
I once posted a question asking if anyone had used a "ringmaster" and there were a lot of posts knocking it but no one that had actualy used one. I got a chance to borrow one and found out that it is not worth a dern in my opinion. It is not at all precision. After making the rings and glueing together a LOT of sanding is required. The guy I borrowed it from spent hours of sanding on each piece. He does not use it much any more.

Jim Finn
11-01-2009, 8:50 PM
Here is a" vase without a lathe."

David DeCristoforo
11-01-2009, 8:59 PM
"...it is not worth a dern in my opinion..."

How dare you speak so negatively about such an incredible invention. After all, what could be easier (or more fun) than gluing together a bunch of tapered wooden rings that do not match exactly (thereby eliminating the need to worry too much about them lining up correctly) and that are as fragile as wood can be and then spending several relaxing days (not to mention the opportunity to finally use up all that sixty grit sandpaper you bought) attempting to sand them in such a way that you get rid of all the unevenness, keep the sides flat and true and consistant in thickness, and have everything end up being perfectly concentric? Sure you could do the same job on the lathe but how hard is that? And look at how much wood you waste on the lathe. No, the ringmaster is the "go to tool" and if you can't see that, maybe you should take up origami.

Richard M. Wolfe
11-01-2009, 10:39 PM
A friend of mine made a small bowl using a piece of mimosa I gave him. He cut concentric rings using a scroll saw with the table set a an angle and glued the rings together. I think he finish turned it on a lathe, but he said cutting the rings using the scroll saw was no problem. Mimosa is pretty soft - using a harder wood might be a little more difficult on a scroll saw.

Dick Brown
11-01-2009, 11:04 PM
Any one ever see one of these? Thought about checking it out but sure don't need any more projects. About 40 miles away, don't know if it will make a vase.

http://bend.craigslist.org/tls/1439245171.html

Wayne Cannon
11-02-2009, 12:33 AM
You can use an ornamental mill, and it's versatile for many other types of decorative work. It's basically a router with X-Y-Z controls, screw drives, template following, and a tiltable rotating center mounting for your work piece.
http://legacywoodworking.com/images/product/3.jpg
http://legacywoodworking.com/products.cfm?product=3

Richard Wolf
11-02-2009, 7:14 AM
I don't know, the web site says. "A must buy for every woodworking shop." I guess I need one.:confused::)

Richard

Brian Kent
11-02-2009, 11:03 AM
"...it is not worth a dern in my opinion..."

How dare you speak so negatively about such an incredible invention. After all, what could be easier (or more fun) than gluing together a bunch of tapered wooden rings that do not match exactly (thereby eliminating the need to worry too much about them lining up correctly) and that are as fragile as wood can be and then spending several relaxing days (not to mention the opportunity to finally use up all that sixty grit sandpaper you bought) attempting to sand them in such a way that you get rid of all the unevenness, keep the sides flat and true and consistant in thickness, and have everything end up being perfectly concentric? Sure you could do the same job on the lathe but how hard is that? And look at how much wood you waste on the lathe. No, the ringmaster is the "go to tool" and if you can't see that, maybe you should take up origami.

Yes, David, but did you not see the smile on the guy's face in the video. It is a happy tool. And I bet you can't do origami on a lathe!

Dave Lehnert
11-02-2009, 7:48 PM
WARNING! To David. This post contains ShopSmith information. Proceed with caution. :D

Ringmaster makes a model to fit on a Shopsmith. Here is a video link that Nick Engler made on the use of a Ringmaster on a Shopsmith. What makes this video interesting is you get to see how it works in real life. He shows the good and the bad.

http://www.shopsmithacademy.com/SS_Archives/SS111/SS111_Ringmaster_1.htm