PDA

View Full Version : I forgot to check the details again

Kenneth Whiting
11-01-2009, 3:04 PM
Three days ago I ordered my turning tools from HF. I thought about going and picking them up, but the gas, toll bridge, and tax would have been more than the delivery charges. Yesterday I drove out to Woodcraft to check it out, ended up leaving with 2 turning magazines, Bill Grumbine's dvd, Barry Gross's pen turning dvd, a small blank of African Mahogany, and a few pieces of wood for a project I am about to start. Today I checked HF's site to see how long it will be til my tools get here, OMG it's 10 to 14 business days. If time is money I am waayyy upside down on this one.

On another note, I was staring dreamily at my lathe sitting there collecting more dust and noticed the back side of the head stock is threaded, what am I going to put in there?

Steve Schlumpf
11-01-2009, 4:57 PM
Kenneth - congrats on your haul from Woodcraft! You will love Bill Grumbine's video!

What lathe do you have? Threaded spindle could be for a chuck, a handwheel or something specific to your lathe.

Bill Bulloch
11-01-2009, 6:14 PM
Don't sweat it... HF always list 10 - 14 business days.. but it never really takes that long. While waiting you'll enjoy those DVDs.

Kenneth Whiting
11-01-2009, 6:58 PM
I have HF's 12'' x 33-3/8'' Wood Lathe with Reversible Head. The threads in question are female.

I watched both dvd's and they were great. Now my better half and I are even more anxious to get our tools in.

Another question: at the end of Barry Gross's pen dvd he showed his pen display, and his prices were on them. I'm thinking he gets more now because of his name, but is his price range of 175-225 pretty common? She wants to make pens to sell, but I don't think either of us had something like that in mind.

Thanks

Bernie Weishapl
11-01-2009, 10:14 PM
Kenneth congrats on a great haul. Bill's DVD is tops. I sell my pens depending on the kit from $25 to $100. I have sold several roller ball and fountain pen pairs for $165 to $185. The kits though were about $60 a pop.

Kenneth Whiting
11-01-2009, 10:49 PM
Thanks Bernie, thats more along the lines of what we were thinking.

Jeff Nicol
11-03-2009, 7:19 AM
Kenneth, I believe the threads are 1/2" and they are a reverse thread so when the lathe is running whatever you use it for won't spin out. I made a vacuum attachment that screws into mine which is a clone of yours. Like also said you could put a hand wheel or and indexing ring on it, but you will have to get a left hand threaded bolt.

Have fun,

Jeff

mike holden
11-03-2009, 7:46 AM
Bernie,
They must be short of pens in Kansas, here in SE Michigan every craft fair has three or more people with booths full of pens for sale, $20 or less, and $20 buys you a celtic knot or similar.
Mike